Procedure for allocating stalls
- advanced bookings cannot be made
- for trading from Monday to Thursday you will need to come to the Market Office at 8am. Please note that the market is closed on bank holidays.
- on a Friday, you must attend the lottery for your type of goods- please refer to your Allocation Procedure form given to you at registration. Traders that have traded twice in the week will be allocated first on Priority, then Antique traders, Second hand and then New Goods traders.
- on a Saturday, the allocation procedure is the same as Friday- Antique, Second hand, Priority,and then the main lottery.
- Traders are called from a list that is randomly selected by an officer at the time. Traders can choose to wait until 9.30am when a further check for vacant sites is made.
- if you arrive late- after the lottery is completed, you can add your name to the 9.30am list.
- All traders MUST be set up by 9:30 unless they are on the 9:30 list, when they will have until 10:30 to be set up and ready to trade.
Please note: availability cannot be guaranteed for casual traders – allocation of spaces can vary from week to week and is dependent on the season, weather, school holidays, traffic conditions, and such like.
Where there are no sites available on Portobello Road, you may be offered the choice of trading on Golborne Road market.
Your membership will be deleted if you fail to show for 12 weeks or if you decline to take a site.
Once a trader has been setting out for at least four weeks he or she can apply for a permanent site by completing an application form. These are available from the Market Office once every quarter, shortly after the Market Newsletter is produced.
- vacant sites are first offered to permanent traders for transfer
- any remaining sites will then be offered to casual traders
- allocation of sites is made on the basis of seniority
- casual traders who refuse offers of a permanent site on three occasions will be struck off the register
- the Council has the right to refuse an application