In-year primary admissions
In-year primary admissions
Sometimes you need to apply for a place for your child at a school outside of the normal admission times. This is known as an in-year admission.
The reason for an in-year admission could be:
- you have arrived in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea from another part of the country or abroad
The normal admission rounds are:
- primary reception: when starting statutory schooling for the first time
- primary to secondary transfer: children currently in Year 6
If your child is already in school and you are thinking of transferring him/her to another school, you must be aware that places are already allocated and availability will be limited. This is very important if your child is in Year 6 of primary school or Year 10 or 11 when a move at this stage of their education is highly discouraged and should only be considered if your circumstances are exceptional.
The rights of foreign nationals to access schools in England
The government has just updated the content of their guidance that offers schools, local authorities and parents on the rights of foreign nationals to access school in England
Visit the GOV.UK website for information and advice on School applications for foreign national children and children resident outside England.
It provides advice on:
- eligibility to enter the country to access a school;
- requirements for admission authorities in processing applications (i.e. requirements within the School Admissions Code and the law);
- advice on processing applications made from those living outside England but returning to live in England.
How to apply
Apply by email
Complete the interactive form and email it to us.
- download the form to your computer and save it locally
- complete the form using Adobe Acrobat (or the equivalent on your computer)
- submit the completed form to [email protected]
If you save the PDF form to your computer you can save it as you go along, meaning you don’t need to complete the whole form in one go.
Apply by post
Download the printable form or request a paper version from the Education team.
In-Year coordinated process
The In-Year coordinated process sets out the arrangements for schools that have agreed to participate. Kensington and Chelsea Council (the Admissions team) will process all applications and will notify the outcome on behalf of schools.
If you need a paper application form or further guidance, contact the Admissions Team on:
- 020 7745 6432 / 6433 (9am to 2pm Monday to Friday)
- [email protected]
Admissions and access to Education Service: privacy notice
Last updated: 19 April 2022