The Family Services Select Committee examines topics related to social services provision for children and families; education, training and youth services and support; early years, childcare and play services; sports education; libraries and other related topics.
The topics for review prioritised by the Overview and Scrutiny Committee for this Select Committee for the municipal year 2020-2021 are:
- Covid-19 impact and recovery in Schools, looking at the educational challenges that pupils and families are facing during this emergency.
- Serious Youth Violence, in light of Covid-19 impact and recovery.
- Grenfell recovery, looking at the implementation of the Grenfell Education Fund.
- The safeguarding of children in the borough. It is one of the key commitments of the Select Committee to ensure it looks after the wellbeing of the most vulnerable children in Kensington and Chelsea communities.
This Select Committee will decide how and when to review these topics in its meeting on Tuesday 20 October 2020. Meeting papers and agendas are available on the Committees pages.
The Select Committee will undertake detailed reviews of these topics throughout the municipal year. It will carry out these reviews in a variety of ways, including reviewing reports at formal meetings, carrying out in-depth scrutiny at single-issue meetings and setting up working groups. In these reviews the Select Committee will seek to gather evidence in the community and to hear from local people and other experts.
Last year the Select Committee set up working groups to review school exclusions in the borough and the childcare needs of the communities affected by the Grenfell Tower tragedy. You can see information about them, including reports and recommendations below:
- School exclusions in Kensington and Chelsea
- Childcare needs of the communities affected by the Grenfell Tower tragedy
If you have any queries please email the Scrutiny Team at: Scrutiny@rbkc.gov.uk.