Frequently asked council tax questions

We hope you find the following information helpful. If there is a question you would like to ask which isn't listed, please use the contact details at the bottom of this page:

Moving in and out of the borough

I have recently moved into the Royal Borough. How do I register for Council Tax?If you have recently moved into the Royal Borough, you can advise us by completing the online Moving In form. It only takes 10-15 minutes to complete and you will need to provide the following details:

  • resident/owner/tenant's name(s)
  • your current address including postcode
  • the new address including postcode you will be moving to
  • the date your tenancy starts or the date you purchased the property
  • the date you moved into the property if different to above
  • whether the property will be empty/unoccupied
  • whether you are entitled to claim for a single person discount if you are single, you occupy your property as your sole or main residence, and you are the only person aged 18 or over who lives there
  • contact details of your solicitor or landlord
  • how you will pay your council tax
  • the name and forwarding address of the previous occupant(s) if known

Complete the Moving In form

Alternatively, check our contact details.

How do I tell you that I am moving out? If you are moving out of the borough, you can advise us by completing thefollowing online form. 

Complete the Moving Out form

Alternatively, check our contact details

Paying your Council Tax

How can I pay my Council Tax ?
You can pay online by visiting our online payment page.

You will need your council tax reference number to make a payment. We accept debit cards and Visa and Mastercard credit cards. We currently do not accept American Express credit cards.

You can also pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit. 

  • By phone at 020 7368 8906.
  • Download and fill  in the Councill Tax direct debit form.

Council Tax Direct Debit Application Form

What are your bank details so that I can make a payment through my bank?

Our bank details to make payment are as follows:

  • Sort Code 57-20-24
  • Account number = 00000000 (8 zeros)
  • Account name = HO Collection a/c

Please quote your Council Tax reference number when making payment

    What are your bank details so that I can make an international transfer of funds as payment through my bank?The details to make an international transfer of funds are as follows:

    • International Bank Account number (IBAN) = GB06 NWBK 50301025062697
    • Bank Identification Code (BIC) = NWBKGB2L
    • Bank account Number = 25062697
    • Sort Code 50-30-10
    • Bank address - Nat West plc, Royal Garden Branch, 55 Kensington High Street, London W8 5ZG

    Please quote your Council Tax reference number when making payment

    I’m paying by direct debit, so why have I been sent a bill?

    You will still receive a bill (showing the instalment details) even though an automated direct debit payment arrangement has been agreed. This is because there is a legal requirement to inform you of the amounts and dates that money will be taken from your bank/building society account. In these cases, a note will be placed on the bill stating that it is “for information only”. Payment details should be checked and the bill retained for your records.

    Direct Debit payers can opt to receive a bill by email rather than through the post. To apply for this please visit eBilling.

    I am an Italian Citizen and I have to provide details to the Italian Government about Council Tax. I am paying on property I own in the UK. Can you help?

    We understand the Italian Government require that Italian citizens inform them of the basis of property tax they pay abroad. The Council Tax is based on the value of the subject property on 1/4/1991. All properties are assigned to a Valuation Band relating to the value of the property.

    Find out the Valuation Band values

    The Council decides on the Council Tax for each Band every year in February/March.

    Your Council Tax bill shows the Valuation Band of your property and the amount of Council Tax you pay.

    Account Management

    How do I advise you of a change to my council tax account? If you would like to inform the borough of any changes in circumstances, you can inform us by completing an online form. 

    Click or tap the button  below to access the Amendment Form.

    Start an application

    Alternatively, check our contact details.

    Can I check my Council Tax account balance and payments I have made to date online?

    Yes, by registering with our MyRBKC service.

    If I register for Council Tax, am I automatically added to the Electoral Register?

    No. The Council Tax register is separate from the Electoral Register. If you wish to register to vote, you will need to complete a separate form. Please see the information at Registering to vote.

    If I register for Council Tax, am I automatically eligible for a resident’s parking permit?
    No. You will need to apply separately for a resident’s parking permit. Please see the information on the Resident's Parking page.

    Reductions and exemptions

    I am a full-time student. How do I apply for a student exemption?
    To apply for a Council Tax student discount / exemption you will need to send us a student certificate which is obtainable from your college and which gives details of your course.
    To qualify for a discount or exemption the certificate must give the following information and fit the following criteria:

    • The name of your course and the start and end dates.
    • You must be on a full-time course of education with the course lasting at least 24 weeks
    • You must be undertaking periods of study, tuition or work experience which together amount to an average of at least 21 hours a week.

    When you have obtained the student certificate please send with a covering letter or email to following address:
    Council Tax Services, PO Box 10413, The Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7WT

    Please note: To receive a full Council Tax exemption a student certificate must be supplied for each member of the household.
    Please let us know how many adults over the age of 18 are residing at the property.

    If you are a student under 20 years of age you may still qualify for a student discount provided the course is one which lasts more than 3 months and at least 12 hours per week for any qualification up to A level, ONC or OND standard.

    You can apply for a student discount/exemption by completing the online form.

    Click or tap the button  below to access the Student Discount/Exemption Form.

    Start an application

    I’m receiving Council Tax Reduction (also called Council Tax Support), so why do I still get bills and adjustment notices sent to me?

    When there is a change to your Benefit claim, there is a legal requirement to issue you with a bill within a certain period of time. These instances are kept to a minimum, but where your circumstances constantly change (for example if you are self employed), you will find that you are issued a new bill each time.

    Alerts and reminders

    Why doesn’t the Council send me a reminder every month?

    There is no legal requirement to issue a separate reminder for each month’s payment. To do so would be expensive and this cost would be passed on to the Council Tax payers, increasing the amount to be paid. Where a reminder is sent, information is provided detailing which payments are outstanding and what will happen should the instalments not be brought up to date.

    You can avoid receiving reminders altogether by signing up to Direct Debit.

    Council Tax and garden charges 

    Why am I paying a garden charge? How do I get access or a key to the garden enclosure or square? What if I do not want to use the garden?

    Generally, if your property (or apartment block) is situated next to, or in a line with, one of the enclosed garden squares, you will be asked to pay an additional amount on your Council Tax bill (even if you do not wish to use the garden). This extra money is used for the upkeep and maintenance of the garden square. The amount payable is decided by the respective garden square committee and not the Council. Access keys for the garden squares can usually be obtained by writing to the relevant garden committee.

    Find further information and details of whom to contact on the garden square information page.

    Contact details 

    What are the contact details for the Council Tax office?

    You can complete an online form to advise us of any changes to your account.

    • by phone: 020 7361 3005: Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm 
    • written enquiries: Council Tax Services, PO Box 10413, The Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7WT
    • personal callers to Customer Service Centre, Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX - opening times: Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm