I have recently moved into the Royal Borough. How do I register for Council Tax?If you have recently moved into the Royal Borough, you can advise us by completing the online Moving In form. You do not need to download any special software to complete this form. This form only takes 10-15 minutes to complete and here is the information you will need to provide:
- resident/owner/tenant's name(s)
- your current address including postcode
- the new address including postcode you will be moving to
- the date your tenancy starts or the date you purchased the property
- the date you moved into the property if different to above
- whether the property will be empty/unoccupied
- whether you are entitled to claim for a single person discount if you are single, you occupy your property as your sole or main residence, and you are the only person aged 18 or over who lives there
contact details of your solicitor or landlordhow you will pay your council taxthe name and forwarding address of the previous occupant(s) if known
How can I pay my council tax?
- You can pay online by visiting our Pay for it page. You will need your council tax reference number to make a payment. We accept debit cards, Visa and Mastercard credit cards but there is a small charge for these. We currently do not accept American Express credit cards
- The easiest and most convenient way to pay your Council Tax is by Direct Debit. You can set up a Direct Debit using our automated telephone line on 020 7368 8906 or by completing the online direct debit form (PDF)
What are your bank details so that I can make a payment through my bank?
Our bank details to make payment are as follows:
- Sort Code 57-20-24
- Account number = 00000000 (8 zeros)
- Account name = HO Collection a/c
Please quote your Council Tax reference number when making payment
What are your bank details so that I can make an international transfer of funds as payment through my bank?The details to make an international transfer of funds are as follows:
- International Bank Account number (IBAN) = GB06 NWBK 50301025062697
- Bank Identification Code (BIC) = NWBKGB2L
- Bank account Number = 25062697
- Sort Code 50-30-10
- Bank address - Nat West plc, Royal Garden Branch, 55 Kensington High Street, London W8 5ZG
Please quote your Council Tax reference number when making payment
- How do I advise you that I am moving out?
- How do I advise you of a change to my council tax account?
- If I register for Council Tax, am I automatically added to the Electoral Register?
- If I register for Council Tax, am I automatically eligible for a resident’s parking permit?
- I am a full-time student. How do I apply for a student exemption?
- What are the details I require to make an international transfer of funds to pay my Council Tax?
- I’m receiving Council Tax Reduction (also called Council Tax Support), so why do I still get bills and adjustment notices sent to me?
- I’m paying by direct debit, so why have I been sent a bill?
- Can I check my Council Tax account balance and payments I have made to date online?
- Why doesn’t the Council send me a reminder every month?
- Why am I paying a garden charge? How do I get access or a key to the garden enclosure or square? What if I do not want to use the garden?
- What are the contact details for the Council Tax office?
- I am an Italian Citizen and I have to provide details to the Italian Government about Council Tax. I am paying on property I own in the UK. Can you help?
I have recently moved into the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea . How do I register for Council Tax?
If you have recently moved in to the borough, you can advise us by completing an online form. This is a Weightless Document Format (WDF) - a file type which allows you to complete the form without downloading any special software.
If you are moving out of the borough, you can advise us by completing an online form. This is a Weightless Document Format (WDF) - a file type which allows you to complete the form without downloading any special software.
If you would like to inform the borough of any changes in circumstances, you can inform us by completing an online form. This is a Weightless Document Format (WDF) - a file type which allows you to complete the form without downloading any special software:
No. The Council Tax register is separate from the Electoral Register. If you wish to register to vote, you will need to complete a separate form. Please see the information at Registering to vote.
No. You will need to apply separately for a resident’s parking permit. Please see the information on the Resident's Parking page.
To apply for a Council Tax student discount / exemption you will need to send us a student certificate which is obtainable from your college and which gives details of your course. To qualify for a discount or exemption the certificate must give the following information:
The name of your course and the start and end dates. You must be on a full-time course of education with the course lasting at least 24 weeks and you must be undertaking periods of study, tuition or work experience which together amount to an average of at least 21 hours a week.
When you have obtained the student certificate please send with a covering letter or email to the addresses shown below. To receive a full Council Tax exemption a student certificate must be supplied for each member of the household. Please let us know how many adults over the age of 18 are residing at the property.
If you are a student under 20 years of age you may still qualify for a student discount provided the course is one which lasts more than 3 months and at least 12 hours per week for any qualification up to A level, ONC or OND standard.
You can apply for a student discount/exemption by completing the online form here: Student Discount/Exemption Form
Go to our online payment page: Pay for it
We accept British debit cards at present. We hope shortly to be able to accept Visa and Mastercard credit cards but we will be making a charge for these.
The easiest and most convenient way to pay your Council Tax is by Direct Debit. You can set up a Direct Debit by downloading the form, or you can set up a Direct Debit over the phone at 020 7368 8906.
I’m receiving Council Tax Reduction (also called Council Tax Support), so why do I still get bills and adjustment notices sent to me?
When there is a change to your Benefit claim, there is a legal requirement to issue you with a bill within a certain period of time. These instances are kept to a minimum, but where your circumstances constantly change (for example if you are self employed), you will find that you are issued a new bill each time.
You will still receive a bill (showing the instalment details) even though an automated direct debit payment arrangement has been agreed. This is because there is a legal requirement to inform you of the amounts and dates that money will be taken from your bank/building society account. In these cases, a note will be placed on the bill stating that it is “for information only”. Payment details should be checked and the bill retained for your records.
Direct Debit payers can opt to receive a bill by email rather than through the post. To apply for this please visit eBilling:
Yes, by registering with our MyRBKC service
There is no legal requirement to issue a separate reminder for each month’s payment. To do so would be expensive and this cost would be passed on to the Council Tax payers, increasing the amount to be paid. Where a reminder is sent, information is provided detailing which payments are outstanding and what will happen should the instalments not be brought up to date.
You can avoid receiving reminders altogether by signing up to Direct Debit.
Why am I paying a garden charge? How do I get access or a key to the garden enclosure or square? What if I do not want to use the garden?
Generally, if your property (or apartment block) is situated next to, or in a line with, one of the enclosed garden squares, you will be asked to pay an additional amount on your Council Tax bill (even if you do not wish to use the garden). This extra money is used for the upkeep and maintenance of the garden square. The amount payable is decided by the respective garden square committee and not the Council. Access keys for the garden squares can usually be obtained by writing to the relevant garden committee. For further information and details of whom to contact, please the garden square information page.
If you need to contact us regarding any other enquiries you can either:
- email@ firstname.lastname@example.org providing the following details:
- Your council tax account reference (if you have one)
- Full address of property including the full post code
- Date of purchase / date of tenancy
- Full names of all adult tenants / owners including yours
- Forwarding address of vendor / name and address of landlord / agents
- by phone: 020 7361 3005: Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm
- written enquiries: Council Tax Services, PO Box 10413, The Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7WT
- personal callers to Customer Service Centre, Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX - opening times: Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm
I am an Italian Citizen and I have to provide details to the Italian Government about Council Tax. I am paying on property I own in the UK. Can you help?
We understand the Italian Government require that Italian citizens inform them of the basis of property tax they pay abroad. The Council Tax is based on the value of the subject property on 1/4/1991. All properties are assigned to a Valuation Band relating to the value of the property.
The Council decides on the Council Tax for each Band every year in February/March.
Your Council Tax bill shows the Valuation Band of your property and the amount of Council Tax you pay.