Call Recording Policy
This policy applies to incoming calls on telephone lines into the Council’s main contact centre but excludes all directly dialled calls to individual Council extension numbers.
All payment calls recorded are done so in line with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) where payment card details are taken.
Policy for the recording of incoming calls
Incoming telephone calls will be recorded up to the point of termination or upon transfer to a Council extension when recording will cease.
Call recordings will be used for the following purposes:
- to quality manage the performance of agents (all agents are made aware of this on induction)
- to assure the quality of service information provided
- for customer demand analysis - to measure and improve the quality of the customer experience
Call recordings may also be used for the following purposes:
- to provide evidence in the resolution of complaints/ombudsman investigations
- to provide evidence for criminal proceedings
- to clarify the content of a particular conversation
- to investigate fraudulent activity
- to provide evidence in assessing the seriousness of threats
- to provide evidence to seek injunctions against abusive customers
Storage of call recordings
Calls will be recorded and stored within the Council’s call recording system with restricted access and can only be accessed via an authorised manager.
Retention of call recordings
Recordings will be stored securely and retained for 112 days after which they will be deleted. Any recordings which may need to be used for the purposes of criminal proceedings or longer term investigations that have been extracted from the system, will be kept in a secure place until any such proceedings/investigations have come to an end. At this point, they will be deleted.
Request to access or delete call(s)
Anyone who wants access to their call(s) or to have these deleted from the system should make this request following the Subject Access Request process.
You can submit your request by: