To address the consultation responses, and to tackle the problem of anti-social busking, we have decided to implement the Busking and Street Entertainment Policy. This policy aims to:
- promote good practice and considerate busking and street entertainment in the public realm that makes a positive contribution to the local street scene
- promote positive and considerate relationships between all those who share the public realm
- substantially reduce the detrimental impact that some busking and street entertainment is having in some parts of the Borough, and
- strike a balance between buskers and street entertainers, other pedestrians and road-users and the local community (residents, visitors, workers, businesses and organisations).
The policy also details the borough’s requirements within the Guide to Busking and Street Entertainment and associated Code of Conduct.
Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs) for Busking and Street Entertainment
In specific areas of the borough, the evidence is clear that the effects of busking on residents and businesses are particularly severe. We have therefore used our powers under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 to implement two Public Protection Orders (PSPOs) areas. In these areas, we will enforce the specific duties of the borough’s Busking and Street Entertainment Code of Conduct through the PSPOs.
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea PSPOs No. 2 of 2019 - Zone One: the Red Zone
This PSPO applies to the following areas:
Hans Crescent Zone 1
South Kensington Zone 1
These are known as zone one: red zone.
In zone one: the Red zone (the restricted and regulated areas) the types of busking and street entertainment are limited and the specific duties of the Code of Conduct are enforced by way of the Public Space Protection Order. The only busking allowed in this zone is set out in the Order and the permitted busking must comply with the twelve specific requirements set out in the Code of Conduct.
The type of busking allowed in the area shown on the maps, is the:
- Performances of mime, living statues and similar performances, excluding the use of any form of musical or percussive device or instrument.
- Performances of clowning, excluding singing or the use of any form of musical or percussive device or instrument.
- Performances of theatrical presentations or other spoken word, excluding singing or the use of any form of musical or percussive device or instrument.
- Performances of magic tricks, magician shows and similar performances, excluding singing or the use of any form of musical or percussive device or instrument.
- Performances of juggling with balls, clubs or rings or similar objects but not knives, other sharp objects of live flame (excluding singing or the use of any form of musical or percussive device or instrument).
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea PSPOs No. 1 of 2019 - Zone Two: the Purple Zone
This PSPO applies to seven areas of the borough:
Earl's Court Tube Station Zone 2
Knightsbridge Zone 2
Notting Hill Gate tube station Zone 2
High Street Kensington Zone 2
South Kensington Zone 2
Hans Crescent Zone 2
Portobello Road Zone 2
These are known as zone two: the purple zone.
In the zone showed on the maps, the twelve specific requirements of the Code of Conduct are enforced by way of the Public Space Protection Order. Busking is permitted in this zone subject to compliance with these requirements.