Finding a home and your housing options

Moving to the seaside

What is it?

The Seaside and Country Homes Scheme is a housing mobility scheme. It offers older people the opportunity to move out of London into sheltered or retirement housing. The scheme’s landlords manage around 3,500 bungalows and flats along the south west coast from Cornwall, through the countryside from Shropshire to Cambridgeshire over to Norfolk and Lincolnshire in the East.

Who is eligible?

The scheme is open to households living in council or housing association housing in Greater London, where at least one member of the household is aged 60 or above. If the other members of the household are under 60 years old they must be either the partner, joint tenant or registered carer of the lead applicant. Priority is given to applicants who would be moving out of larger sized properties.

How it works

The scheme is run by the Mayor of London's Housing Mobility Team. You can contact the team directly, or you can contact the Council’s Housing Opportunities Team who will help you with your application. If there are not any properties available via this scheme in the area you wish to move to, we may be able to refer you to other housing associations that can help.

How to find out more

By email:

[email protected]

To contact the scheme directly, call 08450 21 20 20 or email [email protected].

A comprehensive guide to the Scheme is also available on the website.

Last updated: 23 February 2023