Housing support services

Housing support services are for residents who are experiencing difficulties and may be at risk of losing their homes. The support can help you to manage your home and stay independent. The Council works with a number of housing support services in the borough. The Housing Team can advise you on the choices available and pass on a referral to the service best able to help you.

What can I get help with?

If you qualify for a service, they will draw up a support plan with you. This might include things such as helping you to:

  • maintain your current home, for example, by supporting you to address rent arrears or outstanding debts
  • look at housing options if you need to move to a more suitable home 
  • find employment, training or education
  • manage your money, bills and budget, including maximising your income
  • understand welfare benefit changes and how they may affect your income
  • find out about other organisations that can help and support you
  • access practical, social and emotional support
  • contact organisations that can provide low cost furniture or essential household items
  • find a school and childcare in your area
  • find and register with a GP 

Housing support does not offer help with household tasks such as cleaning and shopping. If you need this kind of help visit the Staying in your own home pages of the People First website or call Social Servicesline on 020 7361 3013.

Who qualifies for housing support?

You will need to have an assessment to see if you qualify. We can arrange an assessment for you if you are:

  • aged 16 or over and living in the Royal Borough; or
  • aged 16 and over and living in temporary accommodation outside of the borough, organised by the Council’s Homelessness Team


  • you need help to prevent you from losing your home and becoming homeless as a result; or
  • you need regular support to stop you from getting into difficulties with the management of your home.

It does not matter whether you own your home or rent it from the Council, a housing association or a private landlord.

How can I get the service?

You will need to fill out a referral form, which provides basic details about you and your situation. You can either complete the form yourself or ask someone to complete it for you. This could be a friend or relative, or a professional who works with you such as a social worker, housing officer, GP or other health worker. If someone else completes the form, we will need your consent to refer you to a service.

We aim to contact you within five working days of receiving the referral form to let you know whether you are eligible for one of the housing support services.

If you are eligible, we will work out which housing support service might help you best. We will pass on a referral and the service will contact you to find out more about your needs. This is called an assessment. If they think they can help you, they will draw up a support plan with you.

If you are not eligible, we will advise you of any other services that may be able to help you.

Housing Support Service referral form

How long does housing support last?

This varies. Once a support plan is agreed, you will begin to work towards meeting the goals set out in the plan. Once this is achieved, the service will end. Some people need ongoing support. If this is identified during the assessment, then it will be arranged. You can choose to end the support service at any time.

Which services provide housing support?

Housing support is currently provided directly by the Council and a number of services we work in partnership with.

How to get in touch

By email: SIT@rbkc.gov.uk


Information on voluntary organisations and charities which provide independent housing advice, in addition to that provided by the Council.

Council services

Telephone: 020 7361 3008 (Housingline)
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm
Email: housing@rbkc.gov.uk
In person: Customer Services Centre (Town Hall) Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm

Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Housing Management (for Council tenants and leaseholders)
Telephone  0800 137 111 or 020 3617 7080
In person:
292a Kensal Road, W10 5BE, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Blantyre Street, SW10 0DS, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Lancaster West Estate, Unit 2 Baseline Studios, Whitchurch Road, W11 4AT, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Homelessness Team
Telephone: 020 7361 3008 (Housingline)
Email: housing@rbkc.gov.uk

Housing Options and Allocations Team
Telephone: 020 7361 3008 (Housingline)
Email:  housingopportunities@rbkc.gov.uk

Housing Support Service
Telephone: 020 7361 4222
Email: housingsupport@rbkc.gov.uk

Tenancy Relations Officer
Telephone: 020 7361 3008 (Housingline)
Email: housing@rbkc.gov.uk

Housing Benefits
Telephone: 020 7361 3006
Email: benefits@rbkc.gov.uk

Environmental Health
Telephone: 020 7361 3002 (Environmental Healthline Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
Email: environmentalhealth@rbkc.gov.uk

Non-Council services

Citizens Advice

Telephone: 0300 330 1174 Advice line Monday and Thursday 1pm to 4pm
In person: 2 Acklam Road (on corner of Portobello Road), W10. A number of drop-in sessions and appointments available, see Kensington CAB web page for details

Telephone: 0300 330 1174 Monday and Thursday pm
In person Chelsea Old Town Hall, King's Road. See Chelsea Citizens Advice web page for details of drop-in sessions and appointments

Nucleus Legal Advice Centre
Telephone: 020 7373 4005 (Advice Line)
In person: 298 Old Brompton Road, SW5 9JF, Monday 1.30 to 4pm, Tuesday 3.30 to 6pm, Thursday 10am to 12.30pm

North Kensington Law Centre
Telephone: 020 8969 7473
In person: 74 Golborne Road, W10 5PS. Housing advice drop-in: Monday 10am to 1pm

World’s End Neighbourhood Advice Centre
Telephone: 020 7351 5749
In person: 2 World’s End Place, World’s End Estate, SW10 0HE
Drop-in: Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10.30am to 1pm. Other times by appointment.

Advance (Independent Domestic Violence Advisor)
Telephone: 020 8741 7008

Shelter (housing and homelessness national charity)
Telephone: 0808 800 4444 (calls are free from UK landlines and main mobile networks)
8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday

Other useful information

We have put together some housing factsheets on key housing issues. The factsheets provide a very basic summary of the issue, the possible actions you can take, and who to contact for further information.

There is more information about local organisations and community groups in our contacts directory.

The Metropolitan Police’s Community Safety Unit can offer advice and assistance regarding safety and security. Please visit the Metropolitan Police website for more information.