Advice for private rented tenants

Environmental Health Grants

Does your property need to be adapted for a disabled person? Has your boiler fallen into disrepair? Would you like central heating installed in place of a less efficient system?  If the answer is yes, the Council may be able to help.

The following grants may be available to you:

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

This is a mandatory grant to help towards the cost of adapting a disabled person’s home so that he/she can continue to live there and have access to the normal household facilities.  The grant is available to owner-occupiers and private tenants who have been referred by the Council’s occupational therapist.  A landlord can also apply on his/her tenant’s behalf.  The maximum grant is £30,000 but it is means-tested so the disabled person may need to make a contribution depending on his/her income and that of any partner (except where the adaptations are for a child).

If you rent your home from the Council or a housing association, you should visit our Grants and adaptations page.

Keep Warm Grant

A home owner or tenant of a property may apply for a grant up to a maximum of £7,500 per dwelling. This grant is intended to provide a decent level of warmth in the home and improve its overall energy efficiency (known as a “SAP rating”).  Works will typically include the installation of a more efficient central heating system and, where possible, insulation works.

Further information

If you or someone you know could benefit from a grant or for further information please contact the Grants Team on 020 7361 3002 or email

For more information about living independently and support available, visit the People First website. People First has information on a wide range of subjects for residents in Kensington and Chelsea, Hammersmith and Fulham and Westminster.

Last updated: 27 October 2021