Street trading at Notting Hill Carnival

Street trading at Notting Hill Carnival

The application process for street trading at Notting Hill Carnival 2019 is not currently open for submissions. The online system will open shortly, with the exact date to be confirmed. Please continue to check back on this webpage for the application link. This applies to returning traders and also to applicants wishing to join the reserve list. For other important information on the street trading application process, please see below.

If you are a returning trader and have changed your email address or moved house since August 2018, or for any other enquiries, please contact us on: .

Prices have not yet been set for 2019, but below you will find an indication of prices as they were in 2018. Stall prices will be confirmed prior to the application system opening and will be published on this page.

For more information about the application process as well as important information regarding street trading at Carnival, please see below.

Trading from a residential or private premises during Carnival

If you wish to trade from your own premises during Carnival you might not need a licence in order to do so, but it is worth checking beforehand that you have done everything you need to in order to comply with the law and also with council requirements for street trading to operate business activity from your premises.

For more information about private and residential street trading at Carnival, please visit the Private street trading web page.

Frequently asked questions on street trading at Carnival

Please read the information carefully and ensure you are able to comply with the requirements and street trading licence conditions, before applying to be added to the street trading reserve list.

Q1. How does the street trading application process work?The application process works in three stages:

1. Traders, who have complied with their licensing conditions from the previous year, will be given first refusal over their site.

2. These traders are given the opportunity to transfer to an alternative location, ubject to availability.

3. Once last year’s traders have been prioritised, all applicants on the street trading reserve list will be given the opportunity to apply for the remaining sites. Correspondence regarding dates and requirements will be carried out via the registered email address. These sites will be offered in order of receiving a completed application.

Q2. What are the requirements for becoming a street trader at Notting Hill Carnival?All traders must

  • Be over the age of 18 years old
  • Have a National Insurance Number. Have proven UK residency
  • Have Third Party Public Liability Insurance for the duration of the event, minimum value of £5,000,000 (Please see Q5 for more information)
  • Hold a Level 2 Award Food Safety in Catering (when cooking and re-heating food). The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea provides a range of regular courses including Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering. To request course fees and to book please ask stall holders to contact 020 7361 3002 or 020 7341 5627or email: (candidates must state that they are applying for a Carnival Licence).
  • Must not have any convicted offences of unlicensed street trading within the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea

When applying for a licence you will be required to provide documentation to support the above. The Royal Borough is required under Section 6 of the Audit Commissions Act 1998 to participate in the National Fraud Initiative (NFI) data matching exercise. All information provided will be used for cross system and cross authority comparison purposes for the prevention and detection of fraud.

Q3. What commodities can I sell at Notting Hill Carnival?Traders are able to sell food, non food goods or both, this includes soft drink beverages (the sale of Alcohol is not permitted).

Q4. What can I not sell at Notting Hill Carnival?Street traders are not permitted to sell alcoholic drinks of any type i.e. spirits, ales, beers, lagers, Guinness, port, wine, babycham, rum punch or alcoholic jellies. Street traders are not permitted to sell illegal substances or legal highs. Nitro Oxide (laughing gas) is not permitted to be sold at Notting Hill Carnival. 

Second hand toys or electrical equipment, knives, solvents or any kind or real or imitation firearms are not permitted!

No counterfeit goods or unauthorized copies of copyright designs or labels. Fortune– telling, tattooing, body piercing, head massage, hairdressing or tarot reading are also not permitted.

Q5. Where can I obtain Third Party Public Liability Insurance?All traders must obtain Public Liability Insurance before their application can be processed. Your insurance must have a minimum cover of £5,000,000 which is a standard cover.

As a local authority we are unable to recommend any third party services. For your convenience, below is a list of insurance companies that street traders have used in the past. You may wish to use a company below or find your own.

  • NMTF (01895 632 221)
  • Wendy Fair (0800 592 225)
  • Combined Markets (CMTIA) (020 8554 5273)
  • Your own insurance broker

Q6. How do I pay for the street trading reserve list fee?Payment is made online in full via credit/debit card at the time of your reserve list registration. 

Q7. What does the reserve fee registration cover?The Filming and Special Events office must recover the cost of administering the street trading reserve list. Registering onto the reserve list does not guarantee you a trading site at the Carnival.

Q8. When will I receive a street trading application?The street trading application will be sent out to the registered email address to all those on the reserve list at the same time. This process begins once the deadline for the previous year’s traders has passed - Traders on the reserve list should expect to receive an application in June/July.

Q9. Once I receive my application form, what happens next?Sites are allocated on a first come first served basis, once the reserve list applications are sent out. Therefore the quicker you return your completed application along with uploading all the supporting documents, the more likely you are to be offered a site.

Q10. When and how can I pay for the licence fee?Payment for the street trading licence is made online in full via credit/debit card. This payment is only taken once a trader has uploaded all the required details/document and their application has been approved by a member of the Filming & Special Events Team. Traders will also be required to select and book onto a mandatory Carnival Training evening. Only once the above has been successfully completed will the trader be able to pay for and secure their site. We do not accept personal cheques, banker’s draft, postal order or Amex credit cards. If you are unable to pay via these methods, please contact the carnival team to arrange a suitable alternative. 

Q11. Are stalls provided to traders?No, traders must provide their own stalls, ensuring that they have stalls suitable to conduct their trading. The stall, equipment and canopy if using one must fit within the designated area given. Stalls must be of metal construction capable of bearing the weight of all equipment and products and must cover the top and ideally three sides of your stall.

Q12. Are traders provided with water?There are currently twenty six static drinking water units, positioned in the carnival area for the sole use of our traders. Although we do provide limited water, we advise all traders to provide their own, as the water does run out during the event and the units are not refilled until the next morning.

Q13. Are traders provided with electric?Currently the Royal Borough does not provide electricity for carnival street traders. Traders will need to provide their own power supply by a generator.

Q14. What type of generator do I need and where can I get one?The London Fire Brigade recommend all traders use diesel generators as they generally require less refuelling and the fuel is more stable. Generators can be hired from any reputable hire company, and it is important that traders who have they own generator gas safety check them yearly. Your annual gas safety certificate will need to be provided on request. Petrol generators are not permitted. All generators must fit within the trader allocated pitch size. 

Q15. What are the trading hours?The street trading licence is valid between 7am and 8pm and trading can only be carried out between these times. All traders must cease trading at 8pm each day.

Q16. Is parking provided to street traders?No, all traders vehicles must be removed from the Carnival area by 9am. (This time is subject to the event schedule and may be liable to change.)

Q17. Can I bring a vehicle into the carnival area to store stock?No, as mentioned above all vehicles must be removed from the Carnival area. The stall, stock and trading must be kept fully contained with the designated pitch size.

Q18. What are the sizes of the pitches?There are five types of pitch sizes at Notting Hill Carnival. (Sizes shown as Width x Depth)

4m x 2m (W x D)
No cooking or reheating is allowed on these sites.

4m x 3m & 4m x 4m
These sites are recommended for small concessions. For example traders selling a small sectional of goods or concentrating on a particular product, has very minimal equipment and stock. This site is not recommended to traders who have large catering equipment or several BBQ’s.

6m x 3m & 4m x 5m
These sites are recommended to traders who require a lot of space, for equipment and stock. Traders wanting to bring large jerk pans and BBQ’s would be advised to apply for these larger sized sites.

Ice cream site 10m x 2m
These sites are for ice cream vans or mobile units only! No static pitches or hot dog trolleys are allowed on Ice cream pitches. No other trading stalls other than those listed on the licence are able to use the site. Any trader found to be sub-letting their site will be evicted from the event. Their locations are positioned at key exit points within the Notting Hill Carnival area. The unit must be able to move immediately if needed! Static sites will not be allowed. Tow bars and generators must fit within the traders designated pitch size.

Q19. How much does it cost to have a site at Notting Hill Carnival?Sites for Notting Hill Carnival 2018 are £48 per square metre:

Type of pitch Size Fee
Smallest - No cooking or reheating 4m x 2m £384
Medium 4m x 3m £576
Medium 4m x 4m £768
Large 6m x 3m £864
Largest 4m x 5m £960
Ice Cream / Mobile units only 10m x 2m £960

Q20. Vehicle AccessVehicle Access Pass (VAP)

In order to enter the Carnival footprint with a vehicle, you will require a Vehicle Access Pass (VAP). Vehicle access is only possible at the allocated entry points between the times of 6am and 8.30am on Sunday and Monday of the Carnival event.

The mandatory documents required for your VAP include:

  • Driver's name
  • Driver's address
  • Driver's date of birth
  • Driver’s driving licence number
  • Vehicle registration number

You will be required to submit all of the above details prior to the Carnival event in order to be issued with a VAP. However, if you do not know your vehicle registration number until closer to the event date or until you collect a hired vehicle, you can submit this information to us up to the day before (deadline is Saturday 25 August 2018 before 3pm). Please note, all driver details (name, address, date of birth and licence number) must be submitted by Monday 13 August 2018 at 3pm. 

Each vehicle will require an individual VAP.

You will be able to submit your vehicle access pass details once you have completed your street trading application through the online system.

The deadline for submission of all driver details is Monday 13 August 2018 at 3pm. The deadline for submission of vehicle registration details is Saturday 25 August 2018 at 3pm.

If you have any further enquiries please email the Filming and Special Events office at

Other useful information for street trading at Notting Hill Carnival

All street traders trading within the Royal Borough must comply with our street trading standards.

Street Trading - Trading Standards

Notting Hill Carnival: Trading Standards [PDF] (file size 158.94 KB)

Non-Carnival street trading (Portobello and Golborne Road Market and isolated sites)

For information on non-Carnival street market pitches and isolated trading sites, please visit the Street Trading Office pages.