About Royal Avenue
A gravelled avenue next to the busy King’s Road Chelsea.
King’s Road SW3
History of Royal Avenue
In 1681, Sir Christopher Wren approved a scheme to connect the Royal Hospital Chelsea with Kensington Palace.
The project stopped short at King's Road, and the flanking terraces are not uniform. The Avenue had gravel with grass verges, horse chestnut trees and hedging. Wooden fencing bordered each side.
Walls and gates enclosed each end with ladder stiles, painted white in 1748. The Avenue was called Chestnut Walk and became known as White Stiles.
The eastern terrace was built in the 1840s. This was when the horse chestnuts were replaced by lime and plane trees. The grass verges were gravelled and the gates and fences replaced by railings. It was known as Royal Avenue from 1875. In 1970 the road access to King's Road was closed.