Leisure Centres in Kensington and Chelsea
Pay and Play
The Kensington and Chelsea residents' Pay and Play card is a free annual membership available to those who live in Kensington and Chelsea. Find out how to get yours.
When we reopen, your experience may look and feel a little different than usual, but as always, the team will be there to guide you through. To ensure your visit is as safe and comfortable as possible, we have:
- reduced equipment within gym areas to allow for social distancing
- relocated some fitness classes to sports hall or outdoor areas where available
- limited the number of customers allowed within the facility at any one time
- introduced pre-booked activity sessions for all customers
- enhanced our cleaning regime and provided sanitising materials for members to use on equipment
- limited changing room access with members asked to change at home when possible
All sessions will need to be pre-booked online or via the Better UK app before you attend the leisure centre. Book online on the Better website.
If you already have a membership with us but haven't set up your booking account, see the step by step guide to creating your booking account, FAQs and more.
Kensington Leisure Centre
|Mondays to Fridays||6.30am to 10pm|
|Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays||8am to 8pm|
Chelsea Sports Centre
|Mondays to Fridays||6.30am to 10pm|
|Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays||8am to 5pm|
*Please note that this centre will close at 5pm instead of 8pm on Saturdays and Sundays
If you are an RBKC resident you are entitled to a free Pay and Play membership. Sign up on the Better website.
For more information regarding your membership visit the Better website.
Kensington Leisure Centre opened to the public on Monday 2 March 2015 and is a result of a £29.4m investment from the Council.
Work began back in December 2012 and the new centre replaces one built in the mid 1970s, which itself replaced the Victorian Lancaster Road baths.
Despite a major refurbishment in 2001 the facilities were simply not tailored to the health needs and pastimes of local people.
Find out other highlights of the new fully accessible leisure centre:
The new centre has a state-of-the-art 120 station gym. It contains the latest cardio and resistance machines, free weights and functional fitness kit. Other facilities include:
- 25-metre, eight-lane swimming pool for teaching and swimming at all levels
- 250-seat spectator gallery
- 20-metre teaching pool with mobile floor
- eight-court multi-use hall
- two Squash courts
- two fitness studios
- sauna/steam facilities with treatment rooms
The centre retains its historical charm, while offering a wide range of modern leisure, fitness and sporting activities for local residents and visitors alike.
The centre is managed by Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL), on behalf of the Council.
Kensington and Chelsea residents' Pay and Play card
Kensington and Chelsea residents' Pay and Play card is a free annual membership. It is available to those who live in Kensington and Chelsea, giving access to a range of discounted activities. You can use this card at Kensington Leisure Centre and Chelsea Sports Centre. It includes:
- up to 50% discounts off activity prices
- FREE swimming for children aged under 8 at specified times
- young people aged 8–15 years swim for £1 at specified times
- access to a wide range of activities
- access to courses and other member-only activities and facilities
- easy online booking and payment
- up to 14 days advance online booking and 7 days advance telephone booking
To find out more, speak to a member of staff at your local Better leisure centre.
To sign up to your free residents Pay and Play card, visit the Better website.