Information about bicycle maintenance including free courses at beginner and intermediate levels if you live, work or study in the borough.
Free bike maintenance courses
We offer free bike maintenance courses at the Bikeworks Hub under the Westway, to people who live, work or study in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Each one-day course is held on Sundays from 10am to 4pm (including a 1 hour lunch break).
Level 1 – Beginner
A ‘bicycle first aid’ course, it covers all the basics. This covers the essentials of adjusting a bicycle to suit you and dealing with common roadside repairs so that you and your bicycle can get home or to a bicycle shop safely.
Cycle Mechanics courses
- Sunday 26 April 10am - 4pm
- Sunday 21 June 10am - 4pm
- Sunday 26 July 10am - 4pm
- Sunday 27 September 10am - 4pm
- Sunday 25 October 10am - 4pm
- Sunday 20 December 10am - 4pm
- Sunday 24 January 2021 10am - 4pm
- Sunday 28 March 10am - 4pm
For more advanced tuition, consider our Level 2 course.
Level 2 – Intermediate
Participants must be confident in all aspects of a level 1 course, or have undertaken the level 1 before taking the intermediate course. Level 2 includes:
- removal and refitting of brake cables
- reconnecting and setting up new brakes
- limit stop screw demonstration
- principles of adjusting front derailleur
- wheel truing – demonstration and practical application
- recommendations for routine bicycle servicing
Please note – hydraulic brake servicing is not covered in either course.
- Sunday 31 May 10am - 4pm
- Sunday 23 August 10am - 4pm
- Sunday 29 November 10am - 4pm
- Sunday 28 February 10am - 4pm
Courses are held at:
Bikeworks West, 3 Maxilla Walk
(Access Kingsdown Close)
You can book a place on one of these courses directly with Bikeworks.
- Telephone: 020 8980 7998
- Email: email@example.com
Bikeworks will take a £5 deposit which will be returned upon attendance.
Fix Your Own Bike sessions
In addition to the taught maintenance classes listed above, you can now come to our Maxilla Walk workshop and use our equipment to ‘fix your own bike’ under the supervision of experienced mechanics.
You do the work, we provide the workshop, tools and advice.
- Saturday 14 March 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 11 April 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 16 May 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 13 June 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 11 July 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 8 August 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 12 September 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 10 October 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 7 November 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 12 December 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 9 January 2021 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 13 February 12pm - 2.30pm
- Saturday 13 March 12pm - 2.30pm