Licences, plans and site layout
To minimise the impact of building work on the highway, developers and builders need to make sure they understand the Council's requirements for:
- licences and consents
- Construction Traffic Management Plans (CTMP)
- site layout
Details are outlined in the table below.
Read this alongside our advice for vehicles and roads which covers requirements for:
- how to prevent mud and dust on the roads
Read more about vehicles and roads.
Many site management issues are a matter of good housekeeping. If you neglect them, we may take enforcement action.
Construction Traffic Management Plans (CTMPs)
1. Approval is required to carry out any works on the highway.
1. If required, these will normally be set as a planning condition and must be approved before works relating to the permission commence
1. Sites should be fenced to deter public access
2. In summary, CTMPs should cover
2. Gates in the fencing or hoarding should be positioned and constructed to minimise noise transmission and must not open outwards onto the highway
3. Check out the Council’s information about:
4. For a street works licence to place and retain, inspect, repair or alter apparatus (e.g drains, cables, ducts, sewer pipes etc) in a street, contact the Private Works Engineers on 020 7341 5240
Read more about Managing Traffic and Transport
5. For information about fixed and mobile cranes and rigging please contact the Highways Officer on 020 8753 5132
6. Consent is required to close any part of a road or footpath, at least 8 weeks in advance
7. Please note, failure to obtain the right licence may result in an offence being committed and you could be liable on summary conviction to a fine.