Temporary traffic orders
You need to apply for a temporary traffic order if you want to:
- close most roads within the borough
- impose a prohibited turn or access or exit of a road
We usually only grant a temporary traffic once we've reviewed all other traffic management options and this is the only way to safely let your planned activity take place,
You will also need to:
- suspend all parking within the closed-off area
- apply and pay for other permits, depending on the reason of the closure
To minimise disruption to the public, you will need to plan your closure at the most convenient time and for as short a time as possible.
Other conditions attached to a temporary traffic order are to:
- provide an easy-to-read clear drawing of your planed closure area including proposed traffic diversion routes
- sign an indemnity form to indemnify The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea against any damages or legal claims as a result of your actions
- employ a competent person or company to put up and maintain diversion route signs, and road closure signs and barriers
- formally inform all residents and businesses within the affected area of your planned closure and deal with any objections
- follow all your licence's conditions including any concerning pedestrian safety
Apply for a temporary traffic order
The cost of a temporary traffic order is £1,594.
You need to make your application at least six weeks in advance. If your plans affect major roads or any TfL roads, it could take up to 12 weeks to process your application.
To apply, complete the online temporary traffic order form.
We will issue you with a copy of the temporary traffic order before the event. You must display it on site for the duration of the closure.
Parking Suspensions application process includes information about the required notice period to apply and how to apply.