Apply for a skip permit

Using skips

You can put a skip on the highway, or public road, after we have authorised and issued a licence.

You must:

  • put the skip directly outside the property where you will be working
  • make sure the skip is no longer than five metres and no wider than two metres
  • put warning lights on the skip from 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise

If you do not light the skip or get a permit, you could be fined up to £1,000.

All Highway licences are subject to the highway licenses terms and conditions.

We don't allow roll-on, roll-off storage containers in the borough because they do not meet the Builders Skip (Markings) Regulations 1984 and are bigger than the maximum measurements of a skip.

Apply for a skip permit

To apply for a permit:

If you would like to receive an accessible version of the file below, please email [email protected]

You can also request an application form:

  • by email: [email protected] with your name and postal address and we will send the application form to you
  • by phone: call 020 7361 2424 to request a form (Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm) 

We issue skip pemits and renewals for any period up to a maximum of three months per application.

Notice periods and approval process

We will check where you want to position the skip before we approve your application.

If you want to:

  • suspend a resident parking bay you must give us at least ten full working days' notice
  • suspend a pay-by-phone bay you must give us at least two full working days' notice
  • position the skip in a bus stop you must get permission from London Transport before you apply to us for a permit or to renew a permit

Read more about suspensions.

If we approve your application, we will send your permit to the address on your application form.

Costs and refunds

Find out about costs.

If you finish with the parking space early, you must tell us by fax or by writing to Parking Operations. If you are due for a refund, please allow up to 28 days to receive a refund. 

Red routes

Red routes are major routes into and around London. They form part of the Transport for London Road Network.

To put a skip on a red route only, you have to apply for a highway licence from Transport for London.

Extend a skip permit

To exend a permit, you need to fill in a new application form and email it to: [email protected] before your skip permit runs out.

This must be no later than 24 hours before it runs out, as long as this is a working day (Monday to Friday, not a bank or public holiday).

You also need to pay your application fee and any suspension fees that you owe.

Find out about costs.

Last updated: 26 June 2023