About parking suspensions
We suspend parking places so that public utilities companies can carry out their work. This includes:
We also grant suspensions so that private companies and individuals may carry out removals and provide services.
We accept applications for suspensions for:
We do not grant suspensions for:
- people carriers
- four-wheel-drive vehicles
1. How to apply
You can apply for a suspension by completing and submiting an online application form.
Other ways to apply
Send us a completed application form and return it by:
- fax: 020 7368 0290
- post: Parking Suspension Team, P O Box 67735, London W6 6FX or
- in person: Customer Service Centre, Kensington Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX
Submitting an application form does not guarantee that we will agree a suspension.
We do not accept applications over the phone.
2. Conditions of application
You must submit your application before the suspension start date. We must receive your application before 3pm for it to be accepted for that day.
- We need ten working days' notice to suspend a resident, numbered disabled bay, diplomatic, car club or doctors’ parking bay.
- We need two working days' notice to suspend a pay and display or a Blue Badge disabled parking bay.
- Where chargeable days are not booked as cumulative, seven consecutive days are required between the end of an application and the start of a new one for the same location for the higher charges not to apply.
We do not count Saturday, Sunday, bank and public holidays as notification days, so you should take these into account when arranging a suspension.
If your application is unsuccessful we will call to explain why or to offer a possible alternate location for the suspension.
We will only grant a suspension when you have made advance full payment.
We accept payment by cheque, credit card and debit card. We don't accept Amex or Diners Club cards.
Make your cheque payable to RB Kensington and Chelsea. Send it with your application form at least seven days before the requested suspension date so it has time to clear.
Do enclose cash with your application form unless you're visiting to pay in person at the Customer Service Centre in the Kensington Town Hall.
You can ask the operator for an alternative payment method to be considered (if processed ahead of the suspension.)
4. Conditions of use
Suspensions for resident parking bays apply from:
- Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 6.30pm
- Saturdays from 8.30am to 1.30pm or 6.30pm, depending on the zone hours for the location
- Sundays from 1pm to 5pm
Suspensions for any other type of parking bays apply from:
- Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 6.30pm
- Saturday from 8.30am to 1.30pm or 6.30pm, depending on the zone hours for the location
5. Suspension fees and admin charges
There are three categories of fees depending on how many suspension days you need.
The suspension fee is chargeable per day, per space* required as follows:
- one to five days: £56 per space per day
- six to 42 days: £84 per space per day
- 43 days or more: £112 per space per day
We suspend parking places for utility companies on the first day only (unless the reason is for traffic flow) to enable them to access the requested site to carry out necessary excavation works.
*available in a marked out bay such as a pay and display bay, or in 5 metre lengths only within unmarked spaces such as a resident bays.
We charge an admin fee per application if you cancel or make changes to the application:
|Any changes, including cancellation, to the suspension application after the sign has been put up||£18|
|Two or more changes, including cancellation, to the suspension application before the sign has been put up||£13|
We will charge an admin fee if we have to cancel your suspension because you are not using it for the approved purpose.
All administration charges for skip permits, temporary structures and plant and material licenses must be paid in addition to the suspension fees.
6. Extending a suspension
If you want to extend a suspension, you must request it in writing by 3pm on the day before it expires. We must be able to contact you to take payment.
If your suspension is due to expire on a Sunday or a Monday you must advise us before 3pm on the Friday.
7. Renewing a suspension
You must renew a suspension before 3pm on the day prior to your suspension expiring.
If your suspension expires on Sunday or Monday, we must receive your renewal and payment before 3pm on the Friday prior to expiry.
If you have any problems please contact the Parking Suspensions Team on 020 7361 4385.
You must send us any cancellation requests in writing. Requests received before 3pm will be processed for the following day.
- £18 cancellation fee if you cancel a suspension application after the signs have been erected
- £13 cancellation fee if you cancel a suspension application before it starts and before the signs have been put up
We also charge the admin fee if we have to cancel your suspension because you are not using it the approved purpose.
You must make any requests for refunds in writing to the Suspension Team by email email@example.com or fax to 020 7368 0290 before we can take any action.
We will not consider a refund if you send the request after the original finish date.
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea provide the parking suspension service in accordance with statutory powers and duties and reasonable care will be taken in processing applications. However, no liability is accepted for any financial loss (whether direct or consequential) that may arise as a result of accepting an application.
If you have any difficulties with vehicles obstructing the suspended bays then please telephone our contractor on 020 7361 3949 or fax details to 020 7352 0528.