You can put a skip on the highway, or public road, after we have authorised and issued a licence.
- put the skip directly outside the property where you will be working
- make sure the skip is no longer than five metres and no wider than two metres
- put warning lights on the skip from 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise
If you do not light the skip or get a permit, you could be fined up to £1,000.
There are more permit conditions on the back of the skip permit.
We don't allow roll-on, roll-off storage containers in the borough because they do not meet the Builders Skip (Markings) Regulations 1984 and are bigger than the maximum measurements of a skip.
To apply for a permit:
- download and complete an application form
- send it to RBKC Parking Services, PO Box 67735, London W6 6FX
You can also request an application form:
- by email: firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and postal address and we will send the application form to you
- in person: visit the Customer Service Centre at the Kensington Town Hall
- by phone: call 020 7361 4385 to request a form
We do not accept emailed, faxed or photocopied applications. Please allow plenty of time if you are posting your application to us.
We issue skip pemits and renewals for any period up to a maximum of three months per application.
Notice periods and approval process
We will check where you want to position the skip before we approve your application.
If you want to:
- suspend a resident parking bay you must give us at least ten full working days' notice
- suspend a pay and display bay you must give us at least two full working days' notice
- position the skip in a bus stop you must get permission from London Transport before you apply to us for a permit or to renew a permit
Read more about suspensions.
If we approve your application, we will send your permit to the address on your application form.
Costs and refunds
If you finish with the parking space early, you must tell us by fax or by writing to Parking Operations. If you are due for a refund, we will send it to you.
Red routes are major routes into and around London. They form part of the Transport for London Road Network.
To put a skip on a red route only, you have to apply for a highway licence from Transport for London.
Extend a skip permit
To exend a permit, you need to fill in a new application form and send it to Parking Services.
You can also bring it to the Customer Service Centre at the Kensington Town Hall before your skip permit runs out. This must be no later than 24 hours before it runs out, as long as this is a working day (Monday to Friday, not a bank or public holiday).
You also need to send us your application fee and any suspension fees that you owe.