Temporary structures

Temporary structures and storing materials or plant

You need a valid licence to:

  • leave building materials or plant (machinery) on the highway
  • put up or leave a temporary structures such as scaffold on the highway

If you don't have a permit you will be committing offence under:

  • Highways Act 1980 (sections 169, 172, 173 and 184)
  • GLC General Powers Act 1970 (sections 1 and 5)
  • Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976
  • Highways Act 1980 (sections 137, 170 and 171)

Before you start work you must get a licence and pay a deposit.

We issue these licences and any renewals for three months at a time.

Apply for a licence

To apply for a temporary structure or builders plant licence:

Application for a licence to put up a temporary structure

Application for consent to leave builders materials on the highway

You can also request an application form:

  • by email: parking.suspensions@rbkc.gov.uk with your name and postal address and we will send the application form to you
  • by phone: call 020 7361 4385 to request a form



Our highways department will inspect the site and decide how much your deposit will be and whether we need to suspend any parking bays.

We will then write to tell you the amount of the deposit and the permit conditions.

Find out about costs.


Licence conditions for temporary structures or builders plant

You must renew your licence on or before the date it runs out.

Under the London Local Authorities Act 1991 you, as the licence holder, are responsible for:

  • preventing unauthorised access to the scaffolding
  • the security of the building where the scaffolding is being used
  • the security of any nearby building

Your licence must be in force and displayed on the structure at all times.

Read more about lighting requirements.

You can get information and advice on preventing scaffolding crimes from the crime prevention officer at local police stations:


Repairs and refunds

After you have finished your work or taken down the temporary structure, you must write and tell us.

We will inspect the site for any damage, and you will have to make and pay for any necessary repairs.

If no repairs are needed, we will refund any deposit we owe you.

We will not refund any of your deposit unless we receive a written request for a refund within six months after your last licence ran out.


Red routes

Red routes are major routes into and around London. They form part of the Transport for London Road Network.

If you want to apply for a temporary structure licence or a licence for storing materials or plant on a red route, you must get permission from Transport for London (TfL) before we can approve the application.

For more information contact centrallicensing@tfl.gov.uk.