Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh

1921 - 2021

It is with deep sadness that the Council and residents have learned of the death of His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh.

The death of His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Scaffolding, hoardings, barriers and temporary crossovers

  1. The term 'night' for these purposes means at least the official hours of darkness when vehicle lights must be on (this means from half an hour after sunset to half an hour before sunrise). It also includes any time when visibility is seriously reduced, for example by fog.
  2. At night, you must clearly show the full length and width of the obstruction (for example, hoarding, scaffolding or pedestrian barriers) with lamps that are lit all the time and shine a red light to the road.
  3. If your hoarding is more than 1.2 metres wide or 3.6 metres long, you must have lamps that show its full width. You can do this by placing them at intervals of no more than 1.2 metres. Also, you must place lamps that show the full length of the hoarding at intervals of not more than: 6 metres in residential roads; or 3.6 metres in main roads (that are, at most, two metres above ground level).
  4. If a driver has to change direction to avoid an obstruction, you must provide lamps along the line of the obstruction. However, if the driver has to greatly change direction, you must provide a lit or reflecting sign or arrow. Also, in this case you must use the signs shown in diagram 610 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002.
  5. When footways are closed by hoardings, you will normally need to provide pedestrian areas. In this case you need to signpost one end of the hoarding with a lit or reflecting sign (as shown in diagram 567.1 of the regulations). You should fit red lamps to the handrails on the side nearest the road showing the full length of the pedestrian area, and at 3.6 metre intervals at least. If public lighting is limited, you should put white lights at the same intervals on the pedestrian side. You should fit any scaffold poles that obstruct the footway with a red light which you should place two metres above the ground.
  6. You cannot close or obstruct any public highway, including footway, unless you already have permission. If you are going to close any road you need a temporary Traffic Order and diversion signs. You should get advice and permission from Transportation and Highways before you begin the work. The Streetworks section of the Highways Department should be contacted at least six weeks before you plan to start the work. They can be contacted on 020 7341 5240.
  7. Lamps should be of the fluorescent bulkhead type fitted with
  8. internally-coloured polycarbonate bowls. Cables must be PVC/SWA/PCV terminated with the correct and approved glands.
  9. The electricity supply or electricity meter, together with the connected control gear, must be stored in a nearby purpose-made steel or concrete pillar, or connected to the temporary builders' electricity supply on a separate fuse.
  10. The whole electricity system must keep to the current regulations for the Electrical Equipment of Buildings, and it must be the most up-to-date system at the time it is installed. You must keep the system clean, safe and running properly.

Scaffold (conditions 1 to 6) and gantry (conditions 1 to 8)

  1. You must not put any vertical scaffold gantry pole, or any putlog or any form of bracing, nearer than 45cm (1 foot 6 inches) to the outer edge of the street kerb at less than 4.88m (16 feet) above the level of the carriageway unless you get approval from the Private Works Engineer on 020 7341 5240.
  2. You must keep a clear passage through the scaffold gantry. You must not fix any putlog, brace or other obstruction lower than 2.44m (8 feet) from the pavement surface.
  3. You must not put any continuous timber or other sole plates directly on the pavement.
  4. If you have permission for a particular area of upright scaffold poles, or for a gantry (platform), it does not mean that you can close off any part of the public highway with any machinery, materials, rubbish or anything else.
  5. You must make sure that no building or cleaning materials, water or other substance falls on the public areas.
  6. You must make sure that your scaffolding is in line with the requirements for lighting scaffolding, hoardings and pedestrian barriers.
  7. Your gantry decking (platform) must be made of two layers of boards, the joints in one layer being at right angles to those of the other. Also, you should lay roofing felt, tarpaulin, waterproof paper or similar material between the two boarding layers.
  8. You may be able to build temporary offices on gantries if the Directorate of Transportation and Highways decides that you can. Contact the Private Works Engineer on tel 020 7341 5240.
  9. Section 169(5) of the Highways Act 1980 says that anyone who doesn't get a scaffold licence, or doesn't follow the terms of the licence, is guilty of an offence and could be fined up to £400 at present. This is set out in Section 37(2) of the Criminal Justice Act 1982.
  10.  You should make sure procedures are put into place to prevent any unauthorised person from climbing the scaffolding.
  11. .Every night, you should take away and lock up all ladders and climbing aids up to first level. If this is not practical, you should chain and lock them in a flat position. Above the first level, you should fasten your ladders back and front.

Temporary crossovers

  1. You will need to pay for and build these crossovers at your own expense to a satisfactory standard.
  2. You need to make sure that the surface of any crossing is level with the footway, and has a ramp against the kerb.
  3. You must keep the crossings safe at all times, for pedestrians to use.
  4. No vehicle is allowed to stand at any time on the crossing, or to obstruct the footway in any way.