These are the maximum fines for the following offences.
- putting up rails, beams and other obstructions over the road - £200
- damaging a road - £1000 plus the cost of the repair
- obstructing a road - £1000
- placing a skip on the highway without a licence - £1000
- failing to light and cover a skip in the hours of darkness - £1000
- depositing materials on a road without permission - £1000
- mixing cement on the road - £2500 plus the cost of repair
Section 169 of the Highways Act 1980 refers to scaffolding or any other structure that obstructs the highway. If you break any of the conditions in section 169, you could be fined up to £5000.