Roadworks in the borough

The majority of roadworks in the borough are carried out by private utility companies to install, renew or repair their equipment. This includes:

  • National Grid
  • BT
  • Thames Water

Under New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, utility companies that work on public highways have to comply with requirements including:

  • safety of excavations
  • reinstatement standards
  • qualifications of staff
  • notififying the Council of proposed works

Utility companies must obtain a permit from us before they can carry out any works. We receive approximately 12,000 permit applications every year for mainly minor repair works.

Read frequently asked questions.

Street works register

We are responsible for co-ordinating and monitoring street works carried out by utility companies.

This includes maintaining a register of all planned street works with information about:

  • the utility company doing the work
  • planned start and ends dates
  • location of the works
  • a description of the works

Weekly works bulletin

Every week we publish extracts from the register in our bulletin. The bulletin includes details about:

  • major activities happening on the public highway
  • details about planned council works, crane operations and other major events

Works and Events 2 July

For a more detailed list of all works being carried out in the borough then please visit the Public London Works website

Transport for London publish their own register of new and updated details about proposed and current roadworks and street related events in Greater London.

View the register.

Monitoring street works

We inspect ten percent of works carried out by utility companies as part of our monitoring process.

Inspections take place at each of three different stages every year. If we find anything wrong, we work with the company to sort out any issues. We can issue a fine if they don't comply. In some cases we can complete the works and charge the company for the costs.

We have limited powers to charge companies for not completing their work in good time. Companies can apply for an extension of time due to unforeseen circumstances.

We hold quarterly meetings with utility companies, the Metropolitan Police and Transport for London to discuss major planned projects.

Protecting new footways and roads

Under the New Road and Street Act, we can prevent utility companies from digging up a newly resurfaced road or footway for a certain amount of time.

To do this we can serve a Section 58 legal notice on utility companies who carry out works such as:

  • Thames Water
  • BT
  • Virgin Media
  • UK Power Networks
  • National Grid

The Section 58 prevents utility companies from digging up the road for a period of between three to five years after the road has been resurfaced or reconstructed. In special cases utility companies can dig up a road if there is an emergency or if they need to provide a new customer service.

Find out about Section 58 restrictions.

Plant enquiries

We do not hold records of underground asset locations owned by utility or private companies. You will need to contact the individual companies directly if you need information.

We are only responsible for street lighting connections and gully connections which are maintained by the Highways Department. However, these services are short local connections between feeder pillar, lamp columns/illuminated bollards and short drain connections from road gullies to main sewers. Currently precise location records are not available for these services..

Utility contact details

You can contact utility companies if you have any questions about work they're doing.

Company to contactForPhone numbers
Thames WaterWater and public sewer / drains

0800 316 9800

UK Power NetworksElectricity

Customer Services - 0800 028 0709
Emergencies - 0800 028 0247

Cadent GasGas

Leaks (emergencies only) - 0800 111999
Other enquiries - 0345 835 1111


Residential Services: 0800 800 150

Business Services: 0800 800 152

General Enquiries: 020 7356 5000
Virgin MediaCable

0800 519 6929

Transport for London (TfL) Road Network 

If you find a faulty traffic signal in the borough, or anywhere in London, you can report it to Transport For London

0343 222 1234