Dovehouse Green

Please note no barbeques are permitted in the park.

About Dovehouse Green

Dovehouse Green, SW3, was an old King’s Road burial ground. It is now an attractive garden with an excellent display of daffodils in the spring. This open area provides a quiet spot to sit among the trees and shrubs.

History of Dovehouse Green

Dovehouse Green was a garden in 1977. It was a gift to the borough from Sir Hans Sloane 1733, for use as a burial ground and closed in 1824.

The second world war

After the green was damaged in the war, there was a scheme to develop the garden. This ran from 1947 to 1950. Most of the stones were removed and the mortuary was demolished. A small part of the gardens opened to the public.

There is a plaque on the green as a memorial to 457 civilians killed in WWII.

Refurbished in 1977

The gardens were refurbished in 1977 to commemorate the Queen’s Silver Jubilee. The Chelsea Society and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea re-modelled the garden in 1977. This made the area more accessible to the public. It retained the mature trees and the remaining monuments. Dovehouse Green became the name of the area.

In 2003, the green was refurbished again in celebration of her Golden Jubilee.


Contact us

View the contact details for parks.

Last updated: 20 December 2023