To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Justice Walk by William Walter Burgess c.1890
Justice Walk links Old Church Street and Lawrence Street. It has stayed relatively untouched, a reminder of early 19th century Chelsea. The cellar under the Wesleyan Chapel, seen on the right, was used as a soup kitchen for the poor. The chapel was relocated to the corner of Chelsea Manor Street and King's Road circa 1900. H. Allen Smith, wine merchants, occupied the premise from 1903 to 1985. According to local legend, a courthouse with a gaol beneath occupied this site in 18th century. Prisoners were led through a tunnel to boats moored on the river to be transported to Australia.
Location of original: Chelsea Print Room C721
Copyright: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC, Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.