To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Monmouth House in the 1830s, a watercolour by Elizabeth Gulston
Monmouth House was erected on the site of an old Manor House, demolished in 1687. This belonged to the Lawrence family. Although named as one house, actually there were four houses. The double doorway in the centre led through a passage way to the garden. The houses were named after Ann, Duchess of Buccleuch, widow of the Duke of Monmouth. She lived here from 1715 to 1730. The houses were demolished in 1835 when Upper Cheyne Row was built.
Location of original: Chelsea Print Room B195
Copyright: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC, Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.