To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Corner of Lawrence Street before the building of Carlyle Mansions in 1882 by J Crowther
This picture shows the old buildings at the river end of Lawrence Street before the construction of Carlyle Mansions. The print appeared in The Sphere on 18 December 1926. The Thames Coffee House, the Cricketers and several local shops occupied the site. Many old inns, shops and businesses were demolished during and after the completion of the Chelsea Embankment. Mansion blocks and large private houses replaced them.
Location of original: Chelsea Print Room A815
Copyright: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC, Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.