To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
The entrance to the National Army Museum in 2006
In 1941 the Royal Hospital Infirmary was badly damaged by bombs and a new infirmary built on the eastern side of the Royal Hospital. In 1960 the National Army Museum was opened at Sandhurst. An appeal was launched for funds to build a new museum in London on the site of the old Infirmary. The National Army Museum was built in two stages between 1961 and 1971. Queen Elizabeth II opened the museum on 11 November 1971. This photograph shows the main entrance. The canon was one of those used during the Siege of Sebastopol during the Crimean War.
Location of original: VM CD
Copyright: J W Rogers
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.