To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Petyt House, Old Church Street where the Vestry met, drawing by WW Burgess
Petyt Hall, as seen in this engraving by Walter Burgess, was situated next to Chelsea Old Church and built in 1705. It is named after William Petyt who paid for the new building. It provided a Vestry Room where the first parish meeting was held in 1706, a school room for educating poor children and accommodation for the school master. Demolished in 1890 it was rebuilt in replica as a Church House. It was destroyed during WWII and luxury houses now occupy the site.
Location of original: Chelea Print Room C21
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries(RBKC Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.