To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Cedar trees in the Physic Garden, painted by James Fuge c.1850.
Chelsea Physic Garden from the south showing the famous cedars of Lebanon planted here in 1683. They were among the first to be planted in England. The last one died in 1903. In 1722 Sir Hans Sloane, Lord of the Manor, presented the garden to the Apothecaries Company so that they could continue their botanical research. A statue of Hans Sloane by Rysbrack stood in the garden but since 1985 has been replaced by a replica and the original moved to the British Museum.
Location of original: Chelsea Print Room D0128
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.