To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
The construction of Gloucester Road station c.1867
A view of construction workers outside Gloucester Road Station c.1867. The Metropolitan Line opened on 1 October 1868, followed by the District Line in 1869. The station was built in the middle of William Attwood's market garden, hence the lack of any other buildings in the image. At the same time the three local landlords, HB Alexander, Robert Gunter and Lord Kensington, co-operated to improve and extend the Cromwell Road westwards thus opening the whole area up for development.
Location of original: LSvf 385 GLO
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.