To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Mary Quant's shop Bazaar on the Kings Road, photographed by John Bignell, 1959
Mary Quant caused a sensation when with her husband, Alexander Plunkett Green, she opened Bazaar on the King's Road in 1955. Suddenly the small useful shops of the past disappeared as boutique owners took over. The King's Road became a magnet for the beautiful and rich, and the Saturday afternoon parade became a 'must do' event. She broke the fashion mould when she launched the mini skirt in the early 1960s.
Location of original: JB_8
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.