To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Little Holland House, Melbury Road shortly before demolition - 20th Century
Little Holland House was built in 1876 for the sculptor George Frederick Watts. It was to be his home until his death in 1904. The architect was Frederick Cockerell. Thobey Prinsep had leased a large plot from the Earl of Ilchester and gave part of it to Watts.
Three studios dominated the ground floor, two of them rising through to the first floor. The huge windows show the location of one of the studios. These were required as Watts sculpted very large statues, including Physical Energy in Hyde Park.
There was very little living accommodation. Watts did not want to be distracted from his work by visitors and therefore tried to discourage them.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: LS vf Alpha K70/195
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.