The high street is still shown lined with houses and shops but everything else has changed. Notting Hill Gate lies on the route of the Roman road to Silchester, an important early settlement in Hampshire. Since then the road has been a major thoroughfare to the West.
The origins of the name Notting Hill Gate are now obvious. The tollgate was set up by the Turnpike Trust and was only removed in 1864. The notice on the left displayed the different rates charged for passing through the gate.
The junction on the right is Pembridge Road; the same turning that has appeared in all the images.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: B08 Print Drawers Cpic101
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.