Coleherne House and its neighbour Hereford House stood on the Brompton Lane, now the site of Coleherne Court. Old maps show that the house stood in about four acres of land. The artist suggests that the name Cold Hearne came from its bleak and exposed location. Brompton has changed a lot since then. Early occupants included General Lambert, who fought on Cromwell's side during the Civil War, the poet-physician Sir Richard Blackmore and William Boulton and family. In 1815 Hereford House was built in part of the garden.
James Gunter purchased the house in 1864. The Gunter family had amassed a large estate in Earl's Court and Brompton. He intended developing the site but his plans were abandoned when the builders went bankrupt. Instead Edmund Tatersall, head of the bloodstock auctioneers, lived in the house from 1865 to 1899. Shortly after this it was finally demolished.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: SB02 RP/2535
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.