Dispose of your garden waste
The best way to dispose of unwanted garden waste is to do it in an environmentally friendly way. You shouldn't throw it away as rubbish, or put it in recycling bags or recycling banks.
To dispose of unwanted garden waste:
- subscribe to our fortnightly garden waste collection service and we will collect it from your property and compost it for you
- compost it at home - contact getcomposting.com for subsidised home composting bins and read our home composting tips
- take it to Reuse and Recycling Centre along with any old garden tools to Smuggler's Way, Wandsworth. Find out more at Western Riverside Waste Authorities.
Subscribe to our collection service
The Council offers a garden waste collection for an annual subscription. Collections are on Wednesday, every fortnight.
- register your details using your email address
- use your debit or credit card to complete registration and pay the annual fee
- we'll deliver your waste bags within five working days
If you don't have an email address call us to set up your subscription on 020 7341 5199.
If you received the garden waste collection in 2018/19 (up to 31 March 2019) you need to register your details again. Use the register button above to renew your subscription.
Login to the service to manage your subscription:
For replacements waste bags:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- call 020 7341 5199 (Monday to Friday, between 9am and 4pm)
Fees and key facts
- The annual subscription for the service is £66.30 (£46.30 concession for people receiving benefits).
- You need to pay your subscription in advance from 31 March.
- If you subscribe later in the year you only pay for the remaining months.
- The fee includes three 120 litre reusable garden waste bags per household.
- If you want to put out more than three bags you will need to pay £9 per additional bag
Collection day information
A dedicated collection crew will collect:
- your garden waste on Wednesday, every fortnight
- from the north of the borough one week, and from the south of the borough the following week
Help the crew by putting:
- your bag(s) at the boundary of your property (not on the highway) by 7am on your collection day
- your address on your bags to they can return them to your property
The crew will not collect garden waste:
- in any bags other than those supplied by the Council for the garden waste collection service
- if you leave out more bags to be collected than you have subscribed for
Please don't put garden waste:
- put out for collection with normal rubbish and recycling as the collection crews will not take it
- in recycling bags as it contaminates the recycling load
How to cancel your subscription
To cancel your subscription:
- telephone 020 7341 5199 (Monday to Friday, between 9am and 4pm)
- email email@example.com
We don't offer refunds for cancellations.
What can I put in my garden waste bag?
Bags must contain only garden waste. We cannot collect bags of soil or heavy materials and the bags must not weigh more than 25kg
- grass cuttings
- weeds and old garden or house plants
- flowers twigs and hedge trimmings
- diseased plants
We don't collect:
- plant pots
- wire ties
- seed trays
- gravel stones
- soil logs
- branches thicker than 2.5 inches (6cm) in diameter
- meat waste
- cooked food
- vegetables and peelings
- Japanese Knotweed
Large one-off garden waste collections
We offer a one-off collection for residents, community groups and garden squares of up to 20 reusable garden waste bags. The cost is £120.
To find out more call 020 7341 5199 (Monday to Friday, between 9am and 4pm).