Discretionary business rates discounts
We grant discretionary discounts to encourage new business and local investment in the borough.
Information about local business rates discount
- Section 47 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988, as amended by Clause 69 of the Localism Act 2011, gives us as a billing authority, discretion to fund our own business rates discounts.
These new powers came into force on 1 April 2012. They allow us to grant discounts as we see fit within the limits of the primary legislation and European rules on state aid. These new powers encourage new business and investment, and support local shops or community services.
The cost of any discounts granted is funded by the the Council and the Greater London Authority (GLA) in the following percentages: 64 / 36.
The Department for Communities and Local Government has said that, whilst it is for each billing authority to decide on the facts of each case whether to exercise its powers under Section 47, an authority may only make a decision to grant business rates discount if it is satisfied that it would be reasonable for it to do so having regard to the interests of persons liable to pay the council tax set by it.
Although authorities may adopt rules for the consideration of applications for business rates discounts, they cannot adopt a blanket approach for making decisions. This means we consider each case on its own merits.
How to apply
- Please complete the attached application form as fully as possible. If you have any difficulties completing the form, please contact the Policy and Control Section on 020 7361 3276/2598.
- All applications for Local Business Rates Discount are submitted to the Royal Borough’s Director for Finance for consideration. The Director consults the Cabinet Member for Finance and Property before making a decision.
- When we receive your application form we will acknowledge receipt within five working days and let you know when a decision will be made. If we need any further information to progress your application we will contact you. Once the Director has made a decision on whether or not to grant a discount, we will write to you within five working days of the decision to let you know the outcome. Our decision is final.
If you have any queries please contact the Policy and Control Team:
- telephone: 020 7361 3276 / 2539 / 2598
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org