Trading Standards Team
We enforce criminal laws that encourage fairer trading. This includes the:
- quantity, price or description of goods or services
- safety of goods
We achieve this by:
- advising local businesses on how to comply with the law
- investigating complaints
- working in partnership with other agencies such as the police
- working on projects to protect people including honest traders
- taking appropriate action - we prefer to advise, but we will prosecute if we need to
Complaints should initially be made to the Citizens Advice Bureau. They’ll advise you about your rights, and refer it to us if there’s something we should investigate.
You can also:
- phone: 03454 040506
- text: 18001 03454 040506
They also provide letter templates to help you if you need to write to a trader.
You can find advice about the laws that affect you at the Business Companion website.
If you can't find what you need there, or if it’s unclear:
- telephone 020 7361 3002
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
We provide information about product recalls.
Read more about product safety page.
Auctions, animal feed and mail forwarding
Premises within the borough that are used to hold an auction must register with us, even if that is not the main business.
If you produce or import animal feed you need to register your premises with us. This includes recycling waste food as feed.
You must also register with us if you run a business which forwards mail, even if it is not your main business.
Landlords, letting agents and property managers
Recent legal changes are affecting these businesses.
Read more about landlords, letting agents and property managers.
Inspections and enforcement policy
We aim to:
- inspect all businesses that we consider as a high risk at least once a year
- reply to service requests and justifiable complaints within 24 hours
- respond to complaints about our services within 28 days
Sometimes we need to take action against traders who don’t comply with the law.
Primary authority allows businesses to form a legal partnership with one local authority. It then provides assured and tailored advice on complying with:
- environmental health
- trading standards
- fire safety regulations that other local regulators must respect
If you are interested in partnering with us, get in touch.
If you need further guidance please contact us:
- email: email@example.com
- telephone: 020 7361 3002
- post: Trading Standards, PO Box 66532, London W8 9GL
- in person: call 020 7361 3002 to make an appointment
Read our Privacy Notice for Trading Standards.