Consumer complaints

Information on how to take a trading standards complaint forward.

Make a complaint about goods or services

Complaints should initially be made to the Citizens Advice Bureau. They’ll advise you about your rights, and refer it to us if there’s something we should investigate. You can phone them on 03454 040506, text them on 18001 03454 040506 or you can complete a consumer enquiry form online.

For general advice for consumers visit Citizens Advice's consumer webpage.

They also provide letter templates to help you if you need to write to a trader. Visit Citizens Advice's letter templates webpage.

If the Citizens Advice Bureau identify a criminal breach of trading standards that would have to be enforced by a different authority, they will direct it to them.

Visiting us

If you would like to visit us, we are based at the Council Offices, 37 Pembroke Road, W8 6PW. As we are a small team and our role takes us out of the office we recommend contacting us beforehand so that someone is available to speak with you.

What Trading Standards can't do

We cannot:

  • close businesses down
  • force a trader to give you a refund or to replace or repair your goods
  • tell you which businesses to avoid

What happens if we investigate?

Not all investigations lead to a prosecution or court case. Often other steps, such as issuing advice or a statutory notice, are more appropriate. We will keep you up to date with our progress and let you know what steps we are taking.