How do I complain

Informal stage

If you are already dealing with a Council officer or you know which officer to contact, you may wish to raise an issue face-to-face, by telephone, email or in writing. Often, matters can be resolved at this stage. If you are unsure about which part of the Council is responsible, please telephone Enquiryline on 020 7361 3000.

Stage 1

If you are unhappy about the response to your initial complaint, you should tell the officer with whom you have been dealing that you wish to take your complaint further. Or you might wish to complete our Comments, complaints and compliments and send it to the relevant department.

If you are complaining about the way in which a particular officer has dealt with you, your complaint will be looked into by a third party. Your complaint will be acknowledged. You should be sent a full reply within 15 working days.

Send us your feedback complete the Comments, complaints and compliments online form.

Stage 2

If you are dissatisfied with the response to Stage 1, let us know. The head of the relevant section will investigate further and should send their response within 15 working days

Stage 3

If you are still unhappy, the relevant Director or Executive Director will review your complaint and send their response within 15 working days.

If, having received a response from the Director or Executive Director, you wish to take the matter further you can take up your complaint with the Local Government Ombudsman or the Housing Ombudsman if your complaint relates to Housing Management, estate services or a repair.

Complaints started under Kensington & Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation’s Complaints policy 

When complaints have already been accepted under the Kensington & Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation’s (KCTMO) Complaints policy, any requests to escalate to the next stage of the process will be handled as follows:

  • stage 2 requests – to be investigated/responded to by the director responsible for the service area complained about
  • stage 3 requests – to be investigated/responded to by the RBKC’s Director of Housing Management.

This is an interim arrangement until all complaints previously accepted under the KCTMO’s Complaints policy have been closed/resolved. 

The Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government Ombudsman is an independent service that investigates complaints about councils. You can seek advice from the ombudsman at any time but they will refer a complaint back to us if you have not been through our complaints procedure.


Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
Coventry CV4 0EH

Telephone: 0300 061 0614
Fax: 024 7682 0001
Text: ‘call back’ to 0762 480 3014

The Housing Ombudsman Service 

The Housing Ombudsman Service resolves disputes involving the tenants and leaseholders of social landlords and its voluntary members ( private landlords and letting agents). The Housing Ombudsman Service will also refer you back to us if your complaint has not completed our internal complaints process.


Housing Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange Square, London E14 9GE

Telephone: 0300 111 3000