Council tax empty properties

Council tax empty properties

Empty property premium charge

If your property has been left unoccupied and unfurnished for two years or more, from 1 April 2019, you will be charged an additional 100 per cent of the full Council Tax charge. This means you will pay 200 per cent Council Tax.


Example of empty property premium charges
Council Tax charge £1,000
Empty property premium charge£1,000
Total amount payable£2,000

There are two exceptions where the Empty Property Premium will not be added. These are:

  • a property which has been left empty by a member of the Armed Forces who has been posted away from home
  • a property which is an annexe to another property and it is being used as part of the main property

If you think you may qualify under one of the exceptions please let us know.

Making an application to the Valuation Office Agency to consider removing a property from the Council Tax list

If no one can live at your property because it requires major reconstruction work, substantial structural or major alterations to make it habitable, you may apply to the Valuation Office Agency to ask them to consider removing it from the Council Tax list.

You must still pay Council Tax until you receive official confirmation that your property has been removed from the list. You must contact the Valuation Office Agency again when the works are completed.

The Valuation Office can be contacted: