Tell us if someone in your property has died

If someone in your household dies

 We will help with Council Tax arrangements:

  • if you are a surviving partner and you confirm that you are now the only adult in the household, we will give you a Single Person Discount
  • if the person was an owner-occupier who lived alone, we’ll exempt the property from Council Tax until it’s occupied again, or until probate is granted. Charges may become payable after six months.
  • If the household was claiming Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax reduction, the surviving partner may now qualify for benefits and we will adjust the claim if necessary.

Please call us on 020 7361 3005 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday to inform us that someone has died.

If you need to inform relevant organisations and departments, the Tell Us Once service makes this process easier.

Find details on our Tell Us Once service

Last updated: 26 January 2023