- Penalty Notice Handbook
- Key Considerations
- Circumstances in which a Penalty Notice may be issued
- Absence from school - leave in term time
- Making a Penalty Notice referral - leave in term time
- Penalty Notice referrals for Persistent Absenteeism
- Penalty Notices for excluded children
- Model application for leave during term time
- PN referral form
- Penalty Notice flowchart
- Letter proformas
Section 105 of the Education and Inspections Act 2006 enables PNs to be issued to parents of excluded children who breach the duty to ensure that their child is not present in a public place during the first five days of exclusion without reasonable justification. Reasonable justification will be assessed on the individual circumstances of each case but may include medical emergency of parent or child or pre-arranged medical appointment. Revised regulations and guidance relating to Penalty Notices in cases of truancy and exclusions came into force on 1st September 2007.
There is no limit to the number of PNs that may be issued within a twelve month period for excluded children.
Should you have any questions or concerns please contact the Tri-borough ACE team who will be pleased to advise on these matters.