Applying to the Council's Housing Register

Grants and adaptations

If you find it difficult to manage at home, specialist equipment or adaptations to your home may make life easier for you. The Council can help you to get specialist support and advice and there are grants available, depending on your circumstances and income. 

If you have a permanent disability, the Council can help you to remain independent at home.

An occupational therapist will visit you and carry out an assessment. They will give you advice and discuss the best options to maximise your independence. This may include recommending specialist equipment or adaptations to your home.

What is specialist equipment?

This is equipment to help with daily tasks, for example a raised toilet seat or equipment to help you get in or out of the bath. If you are eligible for support from the Council you will be given a prescription for equipment which you can take to a retailer of your choice. There is more information about this equipment and who supplies it on the People First website.

What is an adaptation?

Adaptations are changes to your home to help you move around more easily or use the kitchen and bathroom. There are two main kinds:

Minor adaptations

These could be things such as installing hand rails around your home or lever taps in your bathroom or kitchen.

Major adaptations

These involve building work and could include installing:

  • a shower over the bath
  • a level access shower
  • ramps
  • stair lifts or step lifts
  • low level kitchen units

They could also include widening doors for wheelchair access.

How do I pay for the adaptations?

You may be able to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant to pay for adaptation(s). It does not matter whether you own your own home or rent it, but you must intend to live there for the next five years. The grant is means-tested, so depending on how much money you have, you may have to contribute towards the cost. You will not have to pay if you receive a means-test benefit, for example guaranteed Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Income Support.

The grant for people under 19 is not means-tested, so adaptations for children are free of charge.

The Council's Adaptations Team can support you through the process. We will ask for evidence of your income and savings.

If you rent from a private landlord

If you rent from a private landlord, you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant and you can get help from the Council as described above. Your landlord will need to give permission for the adaptations to be carried out.

If you rent from the Council

If you are a Council tenant, the occupational therapist will liaise with our adaptations surveyor to arrange the works which will be carried out at no cost to you.

If you are a housing association tenant

You should talk to your housing association, who will liaise with the Council's occupational therapist.

How do I get specialist equipment or adaptations?

If you have a permanent disability and would like to find out more about specialist equipment or adaptations or arrange an assessment, you can call our Social Servicesline on: 020 7361 3013, or email [email protected]

They will arrange for a member of the social services team to contact you to discuss what kind of help you need.

More information


There is more information on Disabled Facilities Grants on the Government's website

Last updated: 23 April 2024