Advice for letting agents and landlords

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards and Energy Performance Certificates

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) 

Minimum energy efficiency standards (MEES) were introduced by the government to improve the quality and increase the energy efficiency of the worst performing privately rented houses and buildings.  

It is now unlawful for a landlord or agent to rent out a domestic property with an EPC rating of F or G, unless they have a valid exemption in place. 

This includes properties rented on an assured tenancy, regulated tenancy, or domestic agricultural tenancy.  

If you currently let a property with an EPC rating of F or G, you must improve the property’s rating to E immediately, or register an exemption. 

If you plan to let a property with an EPC rating of F or G, you need to improve the property’s rating to E, or register an exemption, before you start a new tenancy. 

You will find more information about MEES on the website


If an exemption applies to a property, a landlord must register and provide evidence of this on the PRS Exemptions Register.


Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) 

In 2008, the Government introduced EPCs. An EPC is a certificate that shows how energy efficient a property is. 

They are issued by a qualified EPC assessor and the EPC gives a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient). Any properties that are rented need to have one.  

The EPC will recommend improvements to the property and show what the energy efficiency rating could be if the improvements were made. 

The certificate is valid for 10 years and required whenever a property is built, sold or rented. The EPC should be made available at the earliest opportunity and free of charge. 

A landlord cannot serve a valid eviction notice (section 21) where they have failed to provide the tenant with a copy of EPC when they were required to.  

Financial Assistance and Grant Advice

Grants and funding are available to help fund energy efficiency improvements. You may be eligible for a voucher to fund up to 2/3rds (up to a maximum contribution of £5,000) for the cost of hiring tradespeople to upgrade the energy performance of your home. You can check your eligibility online. For more information on other funding opportunities visit Simple Energy Advice.  

Financial Penalty

  If Kensington and Chelsea believe a landlord or agent is in breach of the MEES requirements, we have the powers to issue a compliance notice to request information on: 

  • the EPC that was valid for the time when the property was let. 
  • the tenancy agreement used for letting the property. 
  • information on energy efficiency improvements made. 
  • any Energy Advice Report in relation to the property.
  • any other relevant document. 

If a landlord fails to comply with the MEES regulations, we have the powers to issue a financial penalty of up to £5000.   

Additional Information

If a property has an EPC rating of E or higher, or you have already registered an exemption, you still may be required to do works if a Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) assessment is carried out and a hazard/s are found. A legal notice may be served on the landlord or owner to remedy any hazards identified. 

Last updated: 5 November 2021