King's College, London (Kensington campus) in Camden Hill Road, was named by the Queen Mother when HM the Queen granted a Royal Charter in 1953.
Before that it was known as King's College of Household and Social Science. It became a School of the University of London in 1928. The Queen Mother became Chancellor in 1955.
Imperial College of Science and Technology
Imperial College of Science and Technology was instituted by Royal Charter in 1907. This was for the incorporation of the Royal School of Mines and the Royal College of Science, the City and Guilds College. This was established by the Corporation and Livery Companies of the City of London under a 1978 scheme.
The Royal School of Mines
The Royal School of Mines has its home in Prince Consort Road. Other facilities here include:
- Aeronautical and chemical engineering departments
- Physics department
- the Beit building
- Students' hostel
- Union of the Imperial College
Extra hostel accommodation has been provided at South Side, Princes Gardens.