Holding an event in a public space

Apply to hold an event in a public place

If you want to hold an event in a public space, you need to tell us before the event. You must complete the online special events application form. 

If you have any questions, or need help with anything, contact us at: 

Email: specialevents@rbkc.gov.uk 

Phone: 0207 341 5762

The borough has lead-in times, fees, and charges for events:

Lead in times, fees and charges from 1 April 2020

All event applications need to be submitted online by completing the online special events application form on the Eventapp website.

Event guidance

Notice period

Street events and promotions

For a very small even or promotional activity you must give us 10 working days' notice. Very small events are events with minimal impact on streets and open spaces.

For larger street events we need up to 12 weeks' notice. These are events that include road closures or an impact to residents and businesses. For these events you may need other licenses; we can advise once we have received your application.

Park events

For small events (under 499 attendees) in a park, we need at least 6 weeks' notice. For events that may need a licence, we need up to 12 weeks' notice.

For larger events (above 499 attendees) involving licensable activities, it may take longer to approve. Licensable activities are activities like sale of alcohol and regulated entertainment.

For more detail on the licensing requirements at events, go to the Events in parks page.

Approval process

We will decide if you can hold your event by looking at the following:

  • Is the event or activity suitable in the proposed location?
  • Will the event or activity be managed safely and under the terms and conditions of the event licence?
  • Has enough notice been given to facilitate the event?
  • Will the event benefit, and be supported by, the community and local businesses?
  • Are there any existing event applications in the proposed location on the same day?
  • Were previous events organised by the event organiser managed well?

Once you have sent your application we will review it and get in touch with you with further information. There may be licenses you need to apply for or other council procedures to be aware of. If you do not reply we will not be able to approve your event. We will write to you to let you know why.

Council permissions can include:

  • Highways
  • Street Lighting
  • Parking
  • Street Trading and Enforcement
  • Environmental Health
  • Licensing
  • Planning

Please note
The Special Events office also charge an administration fee at an hourly rate (currently £102 inclusive of VAT) to cover officer time, general advice, office costs and liaison with other Council officers, if required.
All payments must be made by debit or credit card before the event takes place and before any licences can be issued.
We will accommodate late applications where possible, but a charge of £83.60 will be applied (any applications submitted late are not guaranteed to be processed and will depend on officer capacity).