Libraries: Latest updates
Our libraries are open to provide:
- Answering enquiries
- Study spaces
- Access to computers, which can now be booked in advance.
We have heightened hygiene measures in place to ensure everyone can safely enjoy all that our libraries and local studies and archives have to offer.
It is no longer a legal requirement to wear a face covering in any setting, but it is still encouraged you continue to wear one in crowded and enclosed spaces (unless exempt) where you may come into contact with other people you do not normally meet.
Please continue to remember the safer behaviours that help to keep everybody safe, there's more information on the COVID-19 advice page.
Click on the drop downs below to find more information about libraries in Kensington and Chelsea.
- Updates to Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster libraries’ shared borrowing arrangement
On Wednesday 1 June 2022 Hammersmith and Fulham left the library system they share with Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster and the shared borrowing arrangement between the three boroughs.
How will this affect me?
The shared Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster library system will continue from Wednesday 1 June 2022, as will the shared borrowing arrangement between the two boroughs.
- Kensington and Chelsea library customers will continue to be able to reserve, borrow or renew items from Westminster libraries
- Westminster library customers will continue to be able to reserve, borrow or renew items from Kensington and Chelsea libraries
Will I need a new library card?
- If you mostly use Hammersmith and Fulham libraries but have a Kensington and Chelsea or Westminster library membership card, you should visit your local Hammersmith and Fulham library branch to obtain a replacement card
- If you mostly use Kensington and Chelsea libraries but have a Hammersmith and Fulham library membership card, you should visit your local Kensington and Chelsea library branch to obtain a replacement card
- If you mostly use Westminster libraries but have a Hammersmith and Fulham library membership card, you should visit your local Westminster library branch to obtain a replacement card
Is there a way I can keep borrowing items from Hammersmith and Fulham libraries?
Yes, you can reserve, borrow or renew items from Hammersmith and Fulham libraries if you have a valid Hammersmith and Fulham library membership card. If you are not already a member, you can register online on the Hammersmith and Fulham website to receive a temporary membership number. When you have your temporary number, please visit a Hammersmith and Fulham library branch with two items of identification, at least one of which must show your current address, to become a full member and borrow items.
Can I have library cards for more than one borough?
You can have separate library membership cards for Hammersmith and Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster Libraries if you wish, provided you meet their individual membership requirements:
How can I find out more?
Please speak to a member of library staff in your local library or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Opening hours
For information about library opening times during the bank holidays please visit our page on library opening times.
- Online resources and virtual library
Our libraries service offers many free online resources which are available 24/7. Visit the online resources page to find out how you can study, learn, and engage with everything your library has to offer without leaving the house.
You can also access our virtual library through our social media channels for book recommendations, library events and much more.
- Home Library Service
Our Home Library Service delivers books and other reading materials to vulnerable residents. Do get in touch to see if you or someone you know can benefit from this service. Visit our Home Library Service page for further details.
- Local Studies
Local studies and archives is now open on a limited appointment only basis to facilitate safe access to the collections. For more information view the Local Studies page.
- For general enquiries, call 020 7361 3010, or email email@example.com.
- Call the library phone line on 020 7361 3993 which is open Monday to Friday, 9am and 6pm to speak with our library staff about books, events or technical support.
- Local studies and archives, call 020 7361 3038, or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Last updated: 13 June 2022