Local studies and archives online catalogue
Our local studies and archives online catalogue has more than 22,000 records, including more than 500 digitised images.
To search, select ‘Kensington and Chelsea Local Studies and Archives’ from the drop-down menu in the Repository field and enter key words into the ‘Any Text’ search field.
Material can be accessed by visiting our department. Please take a note of the reference numbers and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment to visit. Providing references allows us to retrieve items in advance.
About local studies and archives
Our local studies collection contains all the borough's material on the history of both Kensington and Chelsea including:
- illustrations including prints, photographs, paintings and drawings
- maps including ordnance survey, parish and general maps of London
- census returns
- electoral registers
- ephemera and other archive material
Read more about:
Visit the archives
The archive collection is housed at Kensington Central Library.
If you want to see any archive records you need make an appointment first:
- email email@example.com
- or telephone 020 7361 3038
|Monday||1pm - 6.30pm|
|Tuesday||1pm - 6.30pm|
|Wednesday||1pm - 5pm|
|Thursday||1pm - 6.30pm|
|Friday||9.30am – 12.00pm and 1pm - 5pm|
|Saturday||1pm - 5pm|
- Our book scanner is free to use, but you may need to pay a reproduction fee if you intend to reproduce any images. Please bring a USB stick.
- We can scan items for you although this will depend on how much you want scanning. We may charge you for this service.
- A coin operated photocopier is available in the reference department.
- You can use your own camera if you need copies for a research project.
We hold local newspapers on microfilm for:
- Kensington 1855-2004
- Chelsea 1865-1999
If you want to view microfilm copies:
- call us to make a booking 020 7361 3038
- printed copies cost 20p each
We also hold some back copies of more recent local newspapers such as:
- The Kensington and Chelsea Chronicle
- The Kensington and Chelsea Gazette
Read our blog
The Library Time Machine is our weekly blog. It explores past lives and history of Kensington and Chelsea.
Read The Library Time Machine.
Kensington and Chelsea's Great War
Our website showcases Kensington and Chelsea’s Great War memories and local historical material including:
- recruitment posters
- old documents
- family memories of local people
Read more about Kensington and Chelsea's Great War.