The Blue Badge Scheme
This Blue Badge scheme gives national parking concessions for drivers and passengers with severe disabilities. These badges are issued to people with a physical disability, or those who are registered as blind, and need to be able to park close to their destination.
Due to traffic congestion and the high demand for parking space the Blue Badge scheme does not apply in central London - this includes Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster, City of London and parts of Camden.
A Blue Badge gives the following benefits in Kensington and Chelsea:
- Blue badge disabled parking bay:
- up to 4 hours of free parking during controlled hours, and for as long as you want outside of these hours (disabled parking bays can be found on our interactive map). Please see the maximum stay section below for exceptions to this rule.
Pay-by-phone visitor bays:
- minimum purchase of 5 minutes parking required (using PayByPhone page)
- you can have one hour free parking after the time you have paid for runs out
- you must not stay in the bay beyond the maximum stay shown on the sign
Blue badge parking near hospitals (Chelsea and Westminster, Royal Marsden, Brompton and St Charles hospitals)
How we are making it easier to park near hospitals
Hospital zones are marked on-street with a “H” on the parking sign for that bay. View hospital maps in the Blue badge parking near hospitals PDF below:
On arrival in these hospital zones, and displaying a valid blue badge in the car, you can park for longer without needing to top up your payment again, up to the maximum stay of the bay (and for no more than four hours).
- Use Paybyphone to pay for five minutes parking for every hour you wish to stay. For example, pay for 20 minutes and park for four hours.
- Do not buy more than four hours of parking this way and do not stay in the bay beyond the maximum stay shown on the sign.
Display your badge
You need to display your Blue Badge when you park in a disabled badge holder bay. During the limited hours, you must also display your blue clock in the vehicle.
Blue Badge areas
In general Blue Badge bays have a maximum stay of four hours Mon-Fri 8.30am-6.30pm, there is no maximum stay outside these times for Blue Badge holders.
The exceptions to this rule are :
- Exhibition Road - Blue Badge Holders only between 8.30am and 6.30pm; bays free to all outside of these hours
- Hornton Street - Blue badge holders can park up to 3 hours from Monday to Saturday between 8.30am and 6.30pm only; bays free to all outside of these hours
- Netherton Grove - Blue Badge Holders can park up to 4 hours (no return within 4 hours) from Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 6.30pm; Saturday to Sunday DBHO only
- Norland Road (outside the Sikh Temple) - Blue badge holders only, no maximum stay from Monday to Sunday between 8.30am to 6.30pm, bays free to all outside of these hours
- Shalfleet Drive - Blue Badge Holders only at all times
- St Jamess’ Gardens (two disabled bays outside the Synagogue) - Blue badge holders only, no maximum stay from Monday to Saturday between 8.30am to 6.30pm, bays free to all outside of this time
- Westgate Terrace - Blue badge Holders can park up to 4 hours from Monday to Saturday between 8.30 and 6.30pm only; bay free to all outside of these hours