Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh

1921 - 2021

It is with deep sadness that the Council and residents have learned of the death of His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh.

The death of His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Carrying out works in the borough

Carrying out works in the borough

There are many things to consider when carrying out works in the borough: Will you need licences? Will you need parking suspensions? Do you need to provide a Construction Traffic Management Plan? Do you need to close the road to carry out your work?

The following information might help your project run smoothly:

  • Highways advice for buliders: The Highways Act 1980 sets out requirements relating to construction work on or near the highway.
  • Code of Construction Practice: It is strongly advised that you consult the RBKC Code of Construction Practice (COCP) prior to commencing works. This page sets out the Council’s expectations and requirements of Developers and those involved in construction works within the borough.
  • Please note that  the permitted hours for noisy works in RBKC are 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday). Noisy works are not permitted outside these hours, or at any time on Saturdays, Sundays or Bank/Public Holidays.  
  • Parking suspensions: Most works on the highway need parking suspensions.
  • If you wish to lay new plant or apparatus within the public highway you will need to apply for a Section 50 licence. Please contact the Highways Team on tel: 020 020 7341 5122, or email: Highways@rbkc.gov.uk, for an application form.
  • Apply for a skip permit: If you need to put a skip on the highway you will need a licence.
  • Temporary structures: If you want to put up a temporary structure, such as scaffolding, or leave  building materials or machinery on the highway you will need a licence. 
  • Advice for scaffolders: further advice for scaffolders.
  • CTMP guidance: If you applied for planning permission for your development and a condition of the planning consent was a Construction Traffic Management Plan (CTMP), it needs to be formally discharged before you can start work on site. 
  • Temporary traffic orders: If you need to close a road you will need a Temporary traffic order.
  • Mobile lifting operations licence: If you want to use any mechanical lifting equipment on a public road in the borough you need to apply for a mobile lifting operation licence.